Help!tips For Lifting Buttercream Flower Off The Flower Nail

Decorating By humblefam4 Updated 4 May 2011 , 4:12pm by TexasSugar

humblefam4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
humblefam4 Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 7

I have the technique down as to making a buttercream rose using a flower nail.But I'm having issues getting it off the flower nail without it losing its beauty =( I don't have time to order the wilton flower lifter.And I live in a small town where I have to travel at least 30 minutes to buy one.Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated!Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 7

Pop it into the freezer for a few minutes (if it's on the nail directly put that into styrofoam to hold the nail -- if it's on a piece of wax paper, pull that off GENTLY and place on a plate) and pop into the freezer for a few minutes. The flower will firm up and then you can get a thin spatula or palette knife under it and put it on the cake.

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 7

Attach wax paper squares on on your flower nail with a dot of buttercream, make several roses place them on a cookie sheet then pop it in the freezer for a few minutes. The flowers will peel off the paper and you can set them on your cake. I personally wasn't impressed with the flower lifter it kept coming apart on me. I had better luck with small scissors and the small angled spatula.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 7

Try using a clean pair of scissors as your flower lifter.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 7

Scissors.

humblefam4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
humblefam4 Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all so much!I'm new at this so I can use the tips,I will definitly try the freezer tip Thanks so much! =))

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 7

Do them ahead of time on wax paper squares and let them air dry. They will be solid enough to handle, carefully, but still soft enough to bite through.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%