Forsythia "branch"

Decorating By sweet_tooth_0710 Updated 4 May 2011 , 6:39pm by sweet_tooth_0710

sweet_tooth_0710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_tooth_0710 Posted 4 May 2011 , 6:23am
post #1 of 5

Hello. In two weeks I am making a four tier square wedding cake and the bride (my Aunt) wants the cake to be covered with Rich's Bettercream and she also wants a forsythia "branch" up the side of it. So I am wondering if anyone has done anything similar to this and also I was wondering how do I make forsythia looking branches? TIA

4 replies
genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 5

Depends on if you want it to be totally edible. You could use florist's wire and cover that with modeling chocolate, you could pipe it out of chocolate and let it harden and then place it on the cake, or you could pipe it right onto the cake. Whenever I'm doing a new type of flower, I go to the craft store and get a stem of the silk ones so that I can really examine them (if they're not in season).

sweet_tooth_0710 Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 5

I would really like for it to be edible. So I'm gonna go with the piped chocolate. Have you had any experience with doing this? What kind of chocolate would I use?

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 5

I'd make sure you were doing extras just in case they break. Ooh- you could also make your own mold (they sell stuff at Michaels and with a coupon it's not too expensive) of an artificial forsythia branch and then pour melted chocolate into it- then it would be perfect and thicker! Otherwise, just pipe with melted candy melts- onto wax paper and then freeze to harden. They should hold up fine if they're supported by the cake.

sweet_tooth_0710 Posted 4 May 2011 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 5

I really like the mold idea! Sounds a little more fool proof for me icon_lol.gif I will go to Michael's tonight and see what I can find. Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%