Fondant Bubble - Help Needed

Decorating By sjbeatty8 Updated 5 May 2011 , 3:13am by mplaidgirl2

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:41am
post #1 of 5

Lately I have been having issues with my fondant bubbling at the middle of the cake.
I always create a frosting well before I fill and I let the cakes settle a bit before I cover them. No matter what I do the fondant is pushed out all around the middle of the cake and I dont know what to do to fix it.

Any suggestions as to what might be happening?

4 replies
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:18am
post #2 of 5

A thicker dam? No matter on the type of filling, I make a really thick rope of BC (adding enough PS to it so you can roll it out with your hands) and place it about 1/8" from the edge, fill, stack, then cover the rest in BC.

Letting the cake rest enough? I either let the baked cakes rest overnight or at least 6-8 hours before filling and stacking.

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:39am
post #3 of 5

Thanks Angelfood...

I do make the rope pretty thick but never that stiff, I might try that. I dont know that is what it is though because it just started happening... Could it be the weather?? Im at a loss... I dont know if I should chill the cakes but then that seems like it would make it worse.

sweetbrantleys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbrantleys Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:46am
post #4 of 5

I have had this problem when I start adding details and decorations right after covering with fondant. I've read recently that you should let the fondant covered cake rest for a few hours before adding any adornments that might weigh it down and cause bubbles and buckles. Hope that might be of some assistance. icon_smile.gif

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:13am
post #5 of 5

I let me baked cakes rest on top of each other covered in saran wrap 4 hours before I torte and fill. Once they are filled I let them sit another 6 hours before putting fondant on and I don't get buldges.

Another thing that helps is as soon as it come out of the oven I push the top of the cake down with a kitchen towel. I feel like it helps the process too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%