Creamy Filling For Wedding Cake

Baking By jsc2010 Updated 3 May 2011 , 5:23pm by moranda

jsc2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsc2010 Posted 3 May 2011 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 11

I am trying to find a creamy raspberry flavored filling that can be used in a wedding cake. I usually deliver my wedding cakes 1-2 hours before the ceremony as I need to be in and out before guests start arriving. I am concerned about the unrefrigeration of the cake for that period of time. I know most wedding cakes sit there for some time at the reception. I've seen and eaten many cakes filled with a cream of some sort and am wondering if it is mousse or is it a swiss meringue or something entirely different? I think it would need to be stiff enough to with stand the weight of the layers and not soak into the cake. Need some help from experienced wedding cake bakers!!

10 replies
jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 11

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, But... have you considered Sam's Bettercreme. It is a whipped topping and can be flavored with LorAnn Raspberry Oils. The creme is shelf stable and will not sour.

If you want to intensify the Raspberry flavor, brush your cakes with Raspberry (seedless) Jam or make a simple syrup with the Jam or there is a cream cheese raspberry "buttercream" that you can make.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 11

You could whip some seedless rasberry jam in some of your butter cream and fill with that.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 11

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but we recently made a lemon layer cake with raspberry filling. It was a four-tier 9" round cake, and we just used 1/4 cup of seedless raspberry jam in between two layers and swiss meringue buttercream in the center layer. It was wonderful and held together just fine.

jsc2010 Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 11

Actually I am looking for a raspberry filling for a lemon cake. I am looking for something different. With the lemon flavor of the cake I was hoping to get a lighter raspberry filling. I have a mousse recipe that is wonderful but it has to be refrigerated and I just am not sure how it would hold up to a long day of sitting and with the weight of the cake. I make my own fruit fillings and they are great but I was wanting to try something new. I have used the bettercreme before but not as a filling. Does it hold it texture?

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc2010

Actually I am looking for a raspberry filling for a lemon cake. I am looking for something different. With the lemon flavor of the cake I was hoping to get a lighter raspberry filling. I have a mousse recipe that is wonderful but it has to be refrigerated and I just am not sure how it would hold up to a long day of sitting and with the weight of the cake. I make my own fruit fillings and they are great but I was wanting to try something new. I have used the bettercreme before but not as a filling. Does it hold it texture?

yes it does, I justed used it in a cake not that long ago and the texture was awsome and noticed that my cake stood higher than if I had just used buttercream. HTH. If you can get bettercream in liquid form you might be able to whip raspberry jam right into the liquid bettercreme and whip it up like normal, I havent tried it but I may have to now LOL

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 11

When you combine the jam with your buttercream, it will make it a lighter, smooth texture - really creamy. It's not like a mouse type texture, but it's creamier/softer than your buttercream. As long as you put a good buttercream dam around the edge before you fill, it should hold up just as well as your buttercream does without refrigeration.

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 11

I use Bettercreme all the time when I want a mousse like filling that doesn't have to be refrigerated.

2 cups bettercreme
1 small package instant pudding (vanilla or white chocolate would be great)
1/2 cup sugar free raspberry flavored coffee syrup

Whip in mixer until stiff consistency

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 11

Where do you buy the Bettercreme? Sam's?

jsc2010 Posted 3 May 2011 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 11

I buy bettercreme at a food service store (GFS). I have used it many times in place of whipping cream as there is suger in it and it makes things sweeter. Moranda: thanks for posting this recipe. Will have to give it a try!

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:23pm
post #11 of 11

I buy my Bettercreme at Cahs and Carry which is a restaurant supply store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%