Fondant Cutouts

Decorating By dunkin11 Updated 7 May 2011 , 6:24pm by dunkin11

dunkin11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dunkin11 Posted 2 May 2011 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 6

i am doing my daughters 6th birthday cake in a few weeks and watched videos on how to make mmf,i want to do butterfly cutouts and apply them onto wire! not sure how there going to stay in the cake (the wire) and will mmf work or should i just buy rolled fondant? another question can i still refridgerate the fondant on the cake since im using a cake filling? icon_smile.gif

5 replies
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 5 May 2011 , 6:59am
post #2 of 6

for cutouts, I mix tylose (or gumtex) into the MMF to help it dry harder and faster. Without it, it won't keep the shape and take forever to dry.

Dip the wires into piping gel then stick them into the cutouts. Depending on the wire, you can stick coffee stirs into the cake and stick the wires in through that - it'll help hold the wires in place and also not touch the cake itself.

Depending on the recipe, you might be able to put it in the fridge. My MMF turns out dry like regular fondant and I put almost every cake in the fridge without any problems. It will have condensation as it comes back to room temp but just don't touch it. Other's have had issues with their MMF melting and sagging from being in the fridge.

Good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 May 2011 , 10:10am
post #3 of 6

What are you using for a filling? Not all fillings need to be refrigerated.

dunkin11 Posted 5 May 2011 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 6

yes im def gonna try that thank you so much! im so excited to try it. im using a strawberry mousse filling icon_biggrin.gif

loneil115 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loneil115 Posted 6 May 2011 , 1:46am
post #5 of 6

I am going to be doing this also this weekend and had similar questions. I was planning on purchasing 18 gauge wire and then insert them into the cake through coffee straws my question is what do you use to seal the bottom of the straw so the wire wont just slip down further into the cake? Should I seam it with some royal icing? How much tylose powder should I add to the mmf? Is there a proportion? Would you please recommend the mmf recipe to use, there are so many out there and I would love to have one that I can refrigerate. Thank you so much for the information!!

dunkin11 Posted 7 May 2011 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 6

i got the most simplest mmf recipe which is 16oz of mm and 2 lbs powdered sugar and crisco for greasing bowl and hands and counter...and u just microwave it and then knead until pliable! add whatever color or flavor while melting mm and its simple usually! but someone told me when u use the coffee straws but the icing or whatever filling/frosting ur using into the bottom of the straw then insert the wire! so yes thats the way to go i think lol im going to try it for the 1st time also super excited slightly nervouse..and i think the tylose u use like tblsp

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%