Online Supply Business From Home; Where To Get Supplies?

Decorating By nello Updated 2 May 2011 , 5:42pm by jason_kraft

nello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nello Posted 2 May 2011 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 4

Thinking about starting an online supply store. Where do I find supplies to order to fill my online store? I have googled wholesale and bulk, but everything is priced at prices I pay at the store; cannot charge that amount. Need to buy it cheap to make a profit. Any suggestions.

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 May 2011 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 4

To get things really cheap you have to buy in huge quantities. And I mean huge. You might think about going for unique or hard to hard items instead. Or be willing to fill small orders.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 4

You would need to call the suppliers directly. If you want to carry Satin Ice you have to call them and ask them the requirements to become a distributor etc. And Leah isn't kidding about buying in bulk. I have a friend who became a distributor for a car gadget and he had to order 15,000 units at a timeicon_smile.gif Each vendor will probably have different bulk requirements.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 4

Have you put together a business plan for this venture? It's going to be extremely difficult to compete with more established players in this market without a warehouse, and since you are targeting online sales you are effectively competing on a national level. Your shipping costs will be huge (both receiving from suppliers and sending out to customers) since you won't have enough business starting out to get good deals from UPS/FedEx/etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%