Cake Due Today - Problems Painting On Cake

Decorating By apesusi Updated 2 May 2011 , 8:08pm by carmijok

apesusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apesusi Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone help me? I'm trying to paint on buttercream and the colors are not going on smooth. It's almost like trying to paint on wax paper, the colors just don't stick. I think it's because of the grease in the bc.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get it to go on better? Or any tips for me? The cake is due in a couple hours.

Thanks!!!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 6

What are you using for paint? Airbrush color should work. And I think paste colors also. Did you dilute the color? With what? I would think gel would give you the problems you are having.

apesusi Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 6

I am using the wilton icing color thinned down with vodka. Is that gel? I only have a Michael's in town, so that's the only color I have access to today. I don't have time to make a trip out of town before the cake is due.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 6

It sounds to me like you are thinning it too much. Are you thinning in order to lighten the color? I have heard of people using cooking oil instead of vodka *however* it will never dry so smearing is a real possibility.

apesusi Posted 2 May 2011 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks Kakeladi. I wasn't thinning it to make it lighter, I just was thinning it so wasn't so heavy, if you know what I mean. It actually turned out ok, I was painting a tree, so the way it turned out looked like texture on the tree. However, next time I'll have to fix it since I probably won't be painting a tree. icon_wink.gif Although next time it will probably be fondant and I wouldn't have that problem.

Thanks again!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 2 May 2011 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 6

I just painted a leopard print on buttercream and I used a few Wilton colors
along with Americolor gels. I painted on very cold crusted buttercream and thinned with Lemon Extract. It's like painting with water colors. You just have to find the right mix before applying. I really enjoyed doing it. The extract helped it dry faster too. Glad yours turned out well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%