Husband Help-Cake Related

Decorating By ltlepaw Updated 2 May 2011 , 4:02pm by cowie

ltlepaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ltlepaw Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 5

My son's party is Saturday. This past few weeks, my husbands been coming home saying, oh I invited so and so. I would kinda half listen and say ok. This year the plan was to do a small party, and next year start doing big parties where we invite daycare kids (my son will be turning 2). Well, I finally sat down and added it up, and there's 43 people invited! So much for small icon_cry.gif I had only planned on making a 9 by 13 cake. I'm just a hobby baker so this is going to be a dumb question, but how many people does that feed? Obviously not 43, but I was thinking of just adding cupcakes to the theme...how many more should I make! Only half have RSVP'd, about 23.

Oh and next year I'm TOTALLY in charge of guest lists!

4 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 5

I would add cupcakes. Kids will eat a cupcake, but leave a plate full of cake so they can play. If you want a sheet cake to accommodate your party, you will need a single half sheet: 12x18. Your quarter as a single layer will only serve 15-20.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 5

A single layer 9x13 will serve approx 28-30, based on 2x2 cake slices. You can double the 9x13 and it will serve approx 45, based on 1 x 2" slices. (You aren't going to cut huge 2"x2" slices since it will be a taller cake). If you have an 11x15 cake pan, a single layer will serve about 45 or so.

Most of the time, kid's slices can be smaller because most kids don't eat a whole lot of cake - they are more interested in playing! lol Keep in mind also that just because your husband has invited all of those people, they probably all won't show up.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 5

A 9x13 is not a true 1/4 sheet . A *true* 1/4 sheet is 12x8.

It's easy to do the math on sq or rectangle cakes. Just measure out 2" sqs if it's a single layer icon_smile.gif
So four 2" divides on the short side and 6 long ways means 6X4=24 servings from a 9x13x2 cake.

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 2 May 2011 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 5

I've always counted on getting 30 pcs out of my 9x13 cakes and have always been told it's the perfect size. I make two so it's double the height. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%