White Choc. Vs. Dark Choc.???...

Baking By Mikel79 Updated 4 May 2011 , 3:00pm by cai0311

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 14

Hi Cakers!

I have had several folks tell me to use a Chocolate pudding mix in my Red Velvet cake receipe. However, white choc. and dark choc. are both being told to be used. It is about divided in half from people I have asked.

Which is better to use in a Red Velvet cake mix recipe??

Thanks,

Michael

13 replies
Jmlpitbull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmlpitbull Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 14

Chocolate!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 14

I like regular chocolate, since there is already chocolate in the cake. Only time I have used white chocolate pudding was in Strawberry cake when I couldn't find cheese cake flavored.

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 14

Let me preface by saying I'm in NO way an expert on red velvet.

That being said, I can regurgitate a couple of things I've picked up through investigating this (new to me) flavor. Summed up, I think your pudding choice depends on who you're serving it to.

My take is that the "traditionalists" say red velvet should only have a HINT of cocoa. A packet of dark chocolate pudding might make it too chocolatey for those folks. But it would probably be fine for those fairly new to red velvet.

So I would DEFINITELY consider who it's being served to. A hardcore "traditionalist" might not appreciate extra chocolate flavor, but many others probably would. The fact that you're getting suggestions to add chocolate pudding kind of shows that you're probably not dealing with red velvet purists. icon_smile.gif

Just food for thought!

Jmlpitbull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmlpitbull Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 14

Red Velvet is what we call a Traditional Texas red cocoa cake. It leans more towards a chocolate cake than anything else, due to the cocoa used. It gets it's unique flavor and consistency from the addition on the soda and vinegar folded in at the end. Adding pudding to it to make it more moist, I use chocolate pudding, since it's along the same lines of the ingredients and general idea of the cake. You aren't adding enough to completely alter the flavor anyway. You asked us which pudding, we are simply answering the question. icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2011 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 14

I don't think the pudding changes the flavor that much. I haven't tried it, but I don't think if you out a chocolate pudding in with a white cake mix you would have enough chocolate to make it a chocolate cake.

Those that have eat my cakes with the regular chocolate pudding haven't said anything about it not tasting 'right'.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 14

I am from the South and grew up on Red Velvet cake. To me, there is only a hint of chocolate to the taste. It is not the red chocolate cake that is served where I now live (Ohio). I am the only person I know of that makes Red Velvet without using chocolate as the base.

I use a box of white chocolate pudding in every batch of Red Velvet cake I make.

Mikel79 Posted 2 May 2011 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 14

I appreciate the help!

Michael

Mikel79 Posted 3 May 2011 , 10:07am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFiend

Let me preface by saying I'm in NO way an expert on red velvet.

That being said, I can regurgitate a couple of things I've picked up through investigating this (new to me) flavor. Summed up, I think your pudding choice depends on who you're serving it to.

My take is that the "traditionalists" say red velvet should only have a HINT of cocoa. A packet of dark chocolate pudding might make it too chocolatey for those folks. But it would probably be fine for those fairly new to red velvet.

So I would DEFINITELY consider who it's being served to. A hardcore "traditionalist" might not appreciate extra chocolate flavor, but many others probably would. The fact that you're getting suggestions to add chocolate pudding kind of shows that you're probably not dealing with red velvet purists. icon_smile.gif

Just food for thought!

Well Said!!
=)

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 May 2011 , 4:03pm
post #10 of 14

I don't put any pudding in my red velvet cake. I also have just a hint of coca taste in mine. White chocolate will give a vanilla taste. Chocolate is more associated with red velvet than vanilla, so I would go with the chocolate.

cai0311 Posted 3 May 2011 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 14

I don't think the white chocolate adds a vanilla taste at all.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 May 2011 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 14

White chocolate is not chocolate. It does have more of a vanilla taste to it. Whether you think it is or not, it is not a chocolate taste. I would try and find the link that best describes the taste of white chocolate from direct producers of the product, but I do not have the time or desire to do so. But they describe it as a vanilla taste rather than a chocolate taste.

If it doesn't taste vanilla to you, then fine. But it is definitely not the same taste as what I will call milk or dark chocolate or any other chocolate that is brown.

Mikel79 Posted 3 May 2011 , 10:02pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

White chocolate is not chocolate. It does have more of a vanilla taste to it. Whether you think it is or not, it is not a chocolate taste. I would try and find the link that best describes the taste of white chocolate from direct producers of the product, but I do not have the time or desire to do so. But they describe it as a vanilla taste rather than a chocolate taste.

If it doesn't taste vanilla to you, then fine. But it is definitely not the same taste as what I will call milk or dark chocolate or any other chocolate that is brown.

thx

cai0311 Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:00pm
post #14 of 14

I never said it tasted like chocolate to me. I said it didn't taste like vanilla.

Personally, I hate white chocolate. The taste makes me sick to my stomach. In red velvet cake is the only food that contains white chocolate that I eat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%