I Want To Cry...what A Diaster

Decorating By Cookingkimber Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 2:45pm by luvmysmoother

Cookingkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookingkimber Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 8

So I had a cake this weeked that I completely under priced by more than half and I had to stop short on the way to the delivery and the cake fell. I had to take it back home and alter the cake and make some repairs so I was late to the delivery and the cake wasn't exactly what i wanted it to be. I didn't accept the remaining 50% of the payment and then this morning the woman called and said that she was disappointed and she had spent the whole week telling everyone what a great person she hired for the cake and then when it arrived she wasn't happy with the cake. I aplogized several times and I am going to refund her 100% of the price of the cake so she ended up with a 5 tier cake for free but I still feel like she is looking for more. I have offered her a discount on her next cake but i feel like she still isn't happy I just want to cry!!!

7 replies
genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 8

Why did you underprice in the first place? Have you already offered the refund? Was this for a wedding? I'd say if she got a 5 tier party cake that was ok, but maybe not your very best, at 1/4 the price she should have paid, that's a great deal.

WeeSooz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeeSooz Posted 2 May 2011 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 8

Oh hon - sounds like you've had a rough time there. I think you have done more than enough, you've apologised and offered the cake for nothing! Obviously she's disappointed, but these things do happen. Lift your head, and learn from it - nothing else for it I'm afraid! *hugs*

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 May 2011 , 5:46am
post #4 of 8

So how much are you in contact with this person? If she's still unhappy after getting a refund, then that is her problem. what more can you do? At least her cake wasn't totally destroyed!

I will say that I was the recipient of a cake disaster once. Before I started making cakes my in-laws had a 50th wedding anniversary and her daughter and i threw the party. We had gone to a bakery that decorated beautiful cakes...really unique...but they just didn't taste all that great, but we thought what the heck...let's go for the 'look' this time. Well flash forward to the day of the party and the guy delivers a cake an hour before the event that isn't anything like what we had ordered. So there we were, stuck with a cake that not only looked crappy, it tasted bad! At that point a refund is the least they can do!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 May 2011 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookingkimber

. I aplogized several times and I am going to refund her 100% of the price of the cake so she ended up with a 5 tier cake for free but I still feel like she is looking for more. I have offered her a discount on her next cake but i feel like she still isn't happy I just want to cry!!!

What more is she looking for? That's unreasonable. If I'd refunded her 100% I wouldn't even have offered a refund on her next cake, so you're nicer than I'd be!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:24am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookingkimber

. I aplogized several times and I am going to refund her 100% of the price of the cake so she ended up with a 5 tier cake for free but I still feel like she is looking for more. I have offered her a discount on her next cake but i feel like she still isn't happy I just want to cry!!!

What more is she looking for? That's unreasonable. If I'd refunded her 100% I wouldn't even have offered a refund on her next cake, so you're nicer than I'd be!

No kidding, what does she want, blood? No way!! She can get over it.

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:55am
post #7 of 8

So cry, then pick yourself up dust yourself off admit you are human and things happen. And you are evidently a very good human to refund her 100%. she probably picked up on the fact the cake wasn't what you wanted it to be and is just trying to get something for nothing. I bet it still tasted great and the guest enjoyed it. And one more thing- you are now an official member of the cake disaster club -welcome to the ranks. :0)

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 8

Sounds like she wants a free 2nd cake and PLEASE don't let her guilt you into that - some people are so selfish, manipulative, and deceitful it's crazy. She's picking up on the fact you're a decent person and trying to take you for as much as you'll giveicon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%