Ribbon Cutter-Is It Me ?

Decorating By sillywabbitz Updated 2 May 2011 , 1:52pm by sillywabbitz

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:09am
post #1 of 8

I have one of the FMM ribbon cutters and I just can't get a smooth cut. Both the plain cutter and the rick-rack cutter leave very ragged edges. Is there a trick I'm missing. It's not pressure because I press really hard.

Thanks!

7 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:15am
post #2 of 8

Could it be the surface you're cutting on? Some bench tops are just slightly textured, which means no matter how hard you press, if you don't wriggle the cutter as you go (which you obviously can't do with a ribbon cutter) the cut will not be perfectly smooth.

sillywabbitz Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:38am
post #3 of 8

Hmmm I generally use the small silicon baking mats from wilton when I do small fondant work. Any suggestions on what I should work on?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:22am
post #4 of 8

Are you also letting your rolled fondant sit for about 5 mns to firm up a little...
By doing this the cutting wheels will glide better and give you a sharper edge..

Works for me...hope this works for you.

As a side note - its the same as when i am cutting out shapes or designs - i allow the fondant to *air dry* for 5 minutes - that way there is no movement when i do cut the shape out.

Bluehue.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 May 2011 , 11:50am
post #5 of 8

How thick are you rolling your fondant? If it's too thick You won't get clean cuts either.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 8

It's the silicon mat. You need to have a really firm surface to cut on. The silicon mat is a little squishy and won't give you a clean cut.

VERY lightly dust the counter with corn starch and make your cuts directly on the counter top and you will have much better results. I sometimes have to run a pallet knife under the strips to get them off the counter as it can stick at the cut edges, but not always.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 8

The silicon mats are made to roll out fondant, but are not the best for cutting.

I transfer my piece of rolled fondant to a smooth plastic place mat to cut my fondant strips. I also taped two place mats together so I can cut really long strips. I dust the mats with a little cornstarch and then I can roll up the strip without it sticking to its self. Then I unroll it around the cake.

Like lilmissbakesalot said, you can dust the counter and do the same thing on the counter.
I hope this helps you!

sillywabbitz Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much everyone. This is really helpful. Sadly my counters are tile so I can't roll directly on them. I will have to look for a smooth plastic place mat.

This will really save me time because I spend a lot of time cleaning up my edgesicon_smile.gif

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%