New Cake Pop Business

Business By Lolliecakes Updated 2 May 2011 , 12:44am by brenda549

Lolliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lolliecakes Posted 1 May 2011 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 3

I am looking into starting a cake pop biz out of my home in Forsyth county, GA. I would love any advice or suggestions y'all could offer. Especially regarding business license and insurance.

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 May 2011 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 3

GA does not have a cottage food law so you would probably need to either find a commercial kitchen rental, build another kitchen on your property, or renovate your home to add another kitchen so it can pass health inspection. Contact your county and/or state departments that deal with food safety for more info.

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 2 May 2011 , 12:44am
post #3 of 3

Some counties in GA allow separate home kitchens as long as they have a separate entrance, up to code, and a completely no pet home. Some counties do not allow it at all, and you will need to rent a commercial kitchen. I am not sure about Forsyth.

You will need to be licensed through the Georgia Department of Agriculture. My initial contact at GA Dept of Ag was Natalie Edan, 404-656-3621. She will send you tons of info about Georgia.

You will still need to contact your county to find out if they will allow you to use a separate kitchen.

Here is a list of required things I just completed, and in the order I completed them. I am renting a commercial kitchen in Suwanee.

LLC through Secretary of State (optional)
Business Liability Insurance
Secure lease with commercial kitchen
ServSafe Management Certification (required by the kitchen, not the state)
City of Suwanee Occupational Tax Certificate (Business License)
Licensing through Department of Agriculture

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%