Really?!?!? (I Need To Vent)

Decorating By KarolynAndrea Updated 2 May 2011 , 4:34pm by KarolynAndrea

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 1 May 2011 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 20

I just had someone email me that she is sending someone to pick up a cake today and that she will put a check in the mail tonight. REALLY?
What the heck are people thinking? Do you ever go to the grocery store and when you check out tell them that you will pay them in a few days?
I'm trying to be nice. I told her to please have the girl picking it up give me cash or a money order. And that I don't give my cakes to anyone without payment.
People have some nerve! Really, I wonder what goes on in their heads!

19 replies
eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 1 May 2011 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 20

Wow! People actually do use the "the check is in the mail" excuse icon_lol.gif !!
Glad you're sticking to your policy of no $, no cake!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 1 May 2011 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 20

Sounds like it's the old "Check's in the mail" routine. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Some people just don't get it. I always say it's like the old Chinese saying, No ticky, no washy. Glad you told her she had to have payment when it was picked up, you probably never would collect the money.
evelyn

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 May 2011 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 20

Yes..It never ceases to amaze me either..I had a customer a few years ago run in..grab the cake and say.."Oh..I forgot my cheque book but I gotta go"..Needless to say I chased her down for 3 weeks by email to get my money..I should have not let her take the cake but it happened so fast and I had done many cakes for her before ..Never again!!..No Pay..No Cake!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 May 2011 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 20

"And I'll still respect you in the morning."
"Check's in the mail."

Two of the three biggest lies that are continually told.

You have to already know the 3rd one, 'cause I'd get banned if I wrote it out.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 May 2011 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarolynAndrea

Really, I wonder what goes on in their heads!

Those types of people are thinking, "Another sucker here. This scam works all the time."

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 May 2011 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 20

No money, no cakey! icon_twisted.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 May 2011 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Yes..It never ceases to amaze me either..I had a customer a few years ago run in..grab the cake and say.."Oh..I forgot my cheque book but I gotta go"..Needless to say I chased her down for 3 weeks by email to get my money..I should have not let her take the cake but it happened so fast and I had done many cakes for her before ..Never again!!..No Pay..No Cake!!

We actually had people come in and say they forgot their wallets/purses, etc. But always have their cell phones!

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 1 May 2011 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 20

Never would I let someone take a cake without full payment first no matter who they are! The cheek of it. I would rather eat the cake myself and get even fatter!!!!

CP xxx

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 May 2011 , 11:30pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

"And I'll still respect you in the morning."
"Check's in the mail."

Two of the three biggest lies that are continually told.

You have to already know the 3rd one, 'cause I'd get banned if I wrote it out.

I know what THAT one is!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

And who EVER walks out of the house without their wallet or purse which contains their drivers license? This "I forgot my purse/wallet" crap never flies with me because i dont' know ANYONE who is ever w/o their purse/wallet.

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:21am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

This "I forgot my purse/wallet" crap never flies with me because i dont' know ANYONE who is ever w/o their purse/wallet.

Hahahaha... icon_redface.gif That would be me. I forget my wallet, which is my purse (I don't have children yet), at home a lot more than I should. BUT!!! I'm either with DH, who never forgets his wallet, or I can call him and he'll bring mine to me. icon_lol.gif I would never ever use my little memory problem, real or imagined, as an excuse not to pay someone on time for services provided.

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:55am
post #12 of 20

I really hate to go "here" (and I get in trouble with my better half all the time for being so quick to think negatively of people so often) but, I honestly think that people just say that kind of crap just in case for whatever reason, they think they may not like the cake. That way, they can just refuse to pay or negotiate a lower charge. I mean, think of how many times we read stories on here of people calling up a day or so later and complaining that they "didn't like" the cake, or it wasn't what they wanted, etc. and they demand a refund and hold your REPUTATION for ransom.
Well, maybe this person just got smart and decided that if she were to send someone else to pick up the cake, even if she doesn't "like" the design, she can still serve the cake for her event and then negotiate with you for what SHE thinks she should be paying you later...
ORRRR, I could just be chronically negative. Who knows? Either way, you did the right thing telling her that she would need to pay cash or money order...

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:25am
post #13 of 20
Quote:

And who EVER walks out of the house without their wallet or purse which contains their drivers license? This "I forgot my purse/wallet" crap never flies with me because i dont' know ANYONE who is ever w/o their purse/wallet.

Hi! Meet my family! In the past six months my husband has forgotten his wallet twice and I forgot my purse 3 times. Both times for my husband he went to the grocery, filled the cart, got to the register and realized he didn't have his wallet.

For me, I have an iPad and it is in a black bag. My purse is also black. Each time I grabbed th iPad bag and forgot to pick up the purse as well. One time I was taking my daughter and her friend to a local jumping activity center. We got inside and I realized I didn't have my purse. I tried to call my husband and friend to bring me money but nobody was answering their phones. The owner saw I was getting upset, because I was exhausted and sick and it was getting late in the day and I was supposed to buy the kids dinner there (they have pizza and game token package) I only had enough cash to pay for half the pizza/token package. The owner heard me tell the girls we would have to leave and he insisted that we come in and gave us a 50% discount and he still gave the girls the tokens for the games. I told the owner he could speak to my husband and get his credit card number or I would bring the rat of the ,oney the next morning. He kept saying no, he didn't want it. I was so embarrassed I could not even eat the pizza! I finally got in touch with my husband and he drove a half hour to meet us to give me the money. He arrived 1 minute before closing time, I wrote a nice note to the owner and included the money. It was such a kind thing the owner did for me, but I cannot image not paying.
(I'm not saying anyone should let their customers walk on them. I just think this was a nice story. I think that people who say they cannot pay should not be given their items. I agree with the others who say no money no cake.)

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:10am
post #14 of 20

Any cake orders I receive that are ordered and due within the 30 day period I request full payment on the spot and my customers are reminded politely that their date will not be confirmed in my calendar nor will I commence any part of the cake making process until full payment has cleared in my account.. no cheques allowed.. sorry. I do paypal, direct deposit or cash.. I'm a goody goody too - everyone receives a tax invoice after I fulfill their order.. this caking business can be a bitchy one icon_wink.gif
To the OP.. good for you that you stood your ground.. I admire a smart business woman/man icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:38am
post #15 of 20

I genuinely forgot my wallet one day and only realised when I'd just had $100 of petrol pumped into my car at the service station. I was so embarrassed! I thought for sure they'd say "Yeah, right - likely story!" and pump it back out, but no - amazingly the guy let me drive home and get it! But I certainly wouldn't take anyone's word for it myself. For every one who's genuine there'd be a hundred who aren't.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:55am
post #16 of 20

you guys are cracking me up! Just know that if you ever showed up at my door to pick up a cake and claimed to have forgotten your wallet .... I wouldnt' buy it for a second! icon_lol.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 2 May 2011 , 8:17am
post #17 of 20
Quote:

you guys are cracking me up! Just know that if you ever showed up at my door to pick up a cake and claimed to have forgotten your wallet .... I wouldnt' buy it for a second! icon_lol.gif

Ooh, you're a hard-a$$ Debi! LOL

KarolynAndrea Posted 2 May 2011 , 10:57am
post #18 of 20

Here's an update...The lady who picked the cake up had cash. And the girl who ordered the cake sent me a message that the cake was amazing and everyone loved it. So I'm glad I stuck to my guns! Crazy people!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:34pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:

Aawwwwww! icon_smile.gif

KarolynAndrea, so glad to hear it all worked out for you!

KarolynAndrea Posted 2 May 2011 , 4:34pm
post #20 of 20

It's good to know that this stuff doesn't only happen to me! Thanks for letting me vent everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%