Question About Cake Timelines...

Decorating By lily2521 Updated 1 May 2011 , 7:08pm by carmijok

lily2521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lily2521 Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 5

Hello - I'm fairly new here and new to cake decorating, so far I'm loving it, but I'm learning as I go!

My biggest question right now is about how long a cake should last for me, based on how I make it and decorate it...here's an example that would be typical for me;

If I start the process Wednesday night, baking my cake, filling it with my BC filling (I just use a butter/crisco BC so no refrigeration needed) and crumb coat my cake. Then I finish it Thursday with decorating, and the event that I need the cake for is on Friday, would it still be good at this point on Friday?

And...would it last into Saturday too? I'm just not clear on how I should time out the making of my cakes...thanks!

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 May 2011 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, your cake will be fine on Friday and Saturday. And several days thereafter.

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 1 May 2011 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 5

It will be fine. I always start my baking my cakes 3-4 days before the order and they are fine. You can even bake cakes ahead of time and freeze them without the icing on them.

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 1 May 2011 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 5

Your timeline sounds good - I always bake on Mondays - double wrap and freeze. Tues. and Wed. are for making the decorations and bows or whatever needs to dry. Thurs. is filling and frosting the base layer - and Friday is final decor. for weekend cakes. Works smooth for me - and with 2 little boys, I need a timeline like this! icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 1 May 2011 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 5

The bakery I worked for (and now me) would bake everything on Tuesday. Freeze them and then take them out to fill, frost and decorate the day of or the day before delivery--usually it was a Friday or Saturday. The fully decorated cake would stay in the fridge until time for pick-up or delivery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%