Topsy Turvy Using Rubber Door Jams?

Decorating By TiffySue Updated 1 May 2011 , 4:26pm by ramie7224

TiffySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffySue Posted 1 May 2011 , 5:53am
post #1 of 3

I have heard of using rubber door jams (not sure that is what they are called but they are skinny at one end and fat at the other) so there is no carving to the cake. Has anyone heard of this or tried it? It sounds really interesting to me and I would like to give it a go but would love to hear from someone who has used this method.

Thank you all! icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 1 May 2011 , 6:45am
post #2 of 3

Depends what you mean by topsy turvy. there are some that are just made as crooked round cakes, then others are angled more, like this one for example:

...if you're aiming for the angled look, then door jams are not going to do it. I'm not much help with it though really, I can't make a topsy turvy to save myself, so I just don't make them. No cake looks worse than a badly done topsy-turvy IMO, and I think there are few people out there who can pull them off properly (I searched about 10 pages of gallery topsys just now and to be perfectly honest I could only find about 2-3 that actually looked good... and I say that freely admitting that I'm one of those who can't make a decent one!)

Not sure if you've already seen this, but here is a CC tutorial you may find helpful:

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 1 May 2011 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 3

I've heard of people using styrofoam wedges, but not rubber door jambs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%