How Do I Get This Chrome Color ? Please Help

Decorating By jem2131 Updated 2 May 2011 , 6:11pm by kendra_83

jem2131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jem2131 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 4:30am
post #1 of 7

how do i get the chrome color that is on the microphone in this picture.. Does anyone know.. Any advice is welcomed.. thank you soo much

6 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 7

When I try to get a metallic look, I use a fondant that is as close as possible (dk grey) then dry brush on the silver lustre dust. You can buy it at Michaels. Purchase a fairly big bristle brush (I use a blush brush) but if you want more detail, you can use a smaller one) Now this looks shinier, so perhaps they also steamed it or sprayed it with crisco after (or perhaps used something in an airbrush). But try it with the fondant and lustre dust and see if you like the look first. Have fun!

mandankurt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandankurt Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 7

There is also metallic silver edible spray that comes in a can at Michaels, I think duff makes it. It's like 4.95 a can. I use it all the time for the face masks on football helmets

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandankurt

There is also metallic silver edible spray that comes in a can at Michaels, I think duff makes it. It's like 4.95 a can. I use it all the time for the face masks on football helmets

Good to know - I'm going to try that too!

jem2131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jem2131 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you guys.. I am def going to try out both of these things.. thanks a million icon_smile.gif

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 7

It looks like they used the moonstone luster, which is darker than regular silver.

kendra_83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendra_83 Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 7

It looks to me like the entire microphone is made of black fondant or gumpaste and then airbrushed with silver on top. The black fondant gives it a more pewter-like undertone as opposed to silver.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%