White Cake

Baking By cynthiaarnold Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 9:35pm by tigachu

cynthiaarnold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cynthiaarnold Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 8

Hi - How do I make a true white cake similar to the box version ? I have tried numerous white cake recipes from this site, and while all taste great, they have a yellow tint due to the vanilla pudding the recipe calls to add. Any suggestions other than white food coloring ?

Thanks !

7 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 8

If you are looking for a scratch white cake, I really like this one. It doesn't use pudding...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Heavenly-White-Cake/Detail.aspx

GinnyK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinnyK Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 8

Ummm...white chocolate pudding?

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 8

The only thing I noticed is that the scratch white cake called for vanilla extract and if you are looking for pure white make sure you use clear vanilla. If you go with cake flour it has a nice texture and also looks more white due to the lack of "air holes". The box cakes have air holes that give shadows that appear darker.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 8

I've actually made the scratch recipe many times with real vanilla extract because I don't like the clear vanilla much. It still looks white white to me.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 8

I like the King arthur Flour tender white cake. It is not a "true" white cake because it has 1 whole egg in it but it comes out white without a yellow tint and I always use pure vanilla extract with all cakes. It is on their website.

HTH

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 8

I agree that true vanilla does taste better but if you are looking for wedding white, clear really does help or better yet I use KAF Fiori di Sicilia.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

I agree that true vanilla does taste better but if you are looking for wedding white, clear really does help or better yet I use KAF Fiori di Sicilia.

I absolutely LOVE KAF Fiori di Sicilia! If you don't own it, you should order it right away thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%