Cake Too Big For Freezer Or Frig! What Do I Do???

Decorating By creativecakemom Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 7:36pm by TexasSugar

creativecakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativecakemom Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, I think I'm now a regular on here for some reason-at least for the "why is everything going wrong?" topic! I took my 2 sheet cakes (2 layers each, 14 x 16 size pan) out of the freezer yesterday and assembled them together as one long cake on beautiful covered plywood cake board (courtesy of my sweet husband), did the final frosting layer, and then went downstairs to store it so that I could decorate it today. But, the darn thing is too big for both the frig and the freezer! It is being picked up tomorrow morning so I'm wondering if it will be ok if I keep it covered (which I did last night) tonight until tomorrow after decorating it. Will it go "bad?" Any advice would be a blessing!! Thanks everyone!!!

5 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 6

Had several of those in my day. icon_biggrin.gif One time during a particularly hot spell, I cranked up the AC in the bakery overnight and positioned my cake right at the AC vent! icon_lol.gif

As long as your cake is in a relatively cool place-like a cool basement-and lightly covered, you should be ok. If you are still concerned, you could always position some ice paks around/under the cake.

Good luck-and be sure to post a pic! thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 6

Is there something in it that needs to be in the fridge? I never put a cake in the fridge unless I'm using a filling that has to.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 6

As the others have side it should be just fine icon_smile.gif TexasSugar did point out the one thing that could cause problems. If you can fz it then I'm thinking the filling does not need to be kept cold. (Frz'ing often will 'kill' fillings - you have to test them to see if they are fz'able).

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 6

If the buttercream doesn't have butter in it (just crisco) and if the filling doesn't need refrigeration. I agree with the other poster. Place it in a cool place away from animals and if you don't have a cool cellar floor or outdoor screened porch then place some frozen ice packs under it and finangle two boxes together to keep it in and keep the cold in the box.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 6

Actually a BC that uses butter and/or milk and powder sugar is fine out in a cool environment for an extended about of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%