Gluten Free And Mmf

Baking By mommakristin Updated 14 Mar 2013 , 3:46am by GF Mommy

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:45am
post #1 of 7

Hello all.
I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to Gluten Free so I am needing someone's assistance.
My daughter has a friend who has Celiac Disease. None of the local bakeries here make Gluten Free cakes so I was wanting to make one for her. I have found cake recipes and one buttercream recipe that are Gluten Free. My question is this..

Is Marshmallow fondant Gluten Free??

I want her to have an awesome cake because she always seems to get left out. Any help that anyone has will be great!!

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 7

Good luck with that!

I have a friend that just put her son on a gluten/casein free diet and I made his birthday 'cake' earlier this month. I ended up with 4 failed attempts before I got some (decent enough for a friend who understands I don't normally gluten free bake) brownies.

According to my friend, the Crisco/shortening is fine. Check the ingredients on the back of the Marshmallows. You are looking for wheat, also it should say contains or may contain wheat if it does have it in it. I just saw something on the internet that said Kraft's were gluten free, but I would still check the label really well. You can also ask the mother if she can have marshmallows.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 4 May 2011 , 6:06am
post #3 of 7

My brother has Celiac...so over the past few years I have had A LOT of practice! Here are some things I have learned....

- Celiac can be worse at times than others sometimes my brother can broaden his diet a bit and sometimes he has to keep it very strict. Now, confectioners sugar (cs) is not always gluten free! BUT you can buy gluten free cs in most health food stores. So I'd check with the mom to see what she would advise!

- Marshmallows ALONE do not bother my DB BUT sometimes the MMF without gluten free CS will give him a reaction!

- As for baking there is a recipe I found here on cc that is a gluten free flour substitute that I have tested out in countless recipes and have had nothing but marvelous results with! My brother and I find it has MUCH tastier results than the boxed gluten free mixes. In fact there are numerous times I've had people shocked to find out what they had just ate was gluten free!!

I'll try to find the link to the recipe but here it is also...

1/2 tsp Xanthan gum
3 TBSP cornstarch
put these in a 1 C measuring cup then top the cup up with rice flour

this will substitute cup for cup in any recipe!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7158/gluten-free-flour-substitute

HTH!
Ashley

o0zappy0o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
o0zappy0o Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 7

ACrisco is made from soya and soya is the worse thing to br cross contamunated with wheat. After some research i've done thisvis what i have found. As far as the cs the redpath brand is gluten free. What i would like to know is if i could replace the crisco with butter in my mmf?

o0zappy0o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
o0zappy0o Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 7

A"Be" and "contaminated" loll

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 7

I have Celiac and strictly bake and decorate GF.   Crisco is GF.  I use it all the time.  Most marshmallows are GF.  Check the ingredients.  Stick with a brand name, they are more forthcoming about allergies and ingredients.  Kraft is good about cross contamination and allergy warnings.  Red Path sugar and icing sugar are GF.  I use both all the time.

Be careful  about cross contamination will baking and decorating.    If you have other questions you can PM me.

Good Luck.  It's nice of you to accommodate your daughters friend.  

GF Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GF Mommy Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 3:46am
post #7 of 7

AI am gluten free and after 10 yrs only just starting to master some good recipes. With Celia's you can't even use the same cake pan. There zero tolerance on contamination. If you are just making one cake the Betty Crocker cake mixes are great. You even have to buy gf baking powder if you are scratch baking. Avoid anything with bean flour, it taste nasty. If you make your own butter cream it will be gluten free. Read everything, you don't want any wheat, rye, or barley. No malt that's barley. I hope this helps let me know if you have any more questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%