Two Questions: Painting Cakes/designs & Airbrush Glaze?

Decorating By Angela_Elise Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 2:09am by Angela_Elise

Angela_Elise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angela_Elise Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 3

#1-I have tried luster dust mixed with vodka, then I tried luster dust mixed with vanilla, and neither are turning out to paint how I want them to. Are there specific paints used for cakes or are they generally a dry powder source mixed with a liquid? I've read the luster dust method works, but when i do it, it smears and looks terrible even if I barely get the cake/decoration wet w/the color. Any sugesstions would be awesome!!

#2- I posted this somewhere else but haven't gotten an answer yet (think b/c it's an old post maybe) but is there a home made liquid or glaze of somesort that can be ran through an airbrush and put on a cake to make it look like it has that shiny glass/porcelain finish?
I couldn't really find anything yet that will work for that and I'm scared to steam the fondant for fear I'll get it to hot and it will slide off the cake. The refigerator method worked, but only for a few hours.
Thanks!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:20am
post #2 of 3

#1: You can buy a lustre spray from PME I think, or use a lustered/metallic airbrush colour for the purpose of having a pearlescent look to your cakes. You can also hadpain using liquid food colours, or airbrush colours, but remember to shake the bottle very well if it is a metallic colour.

#2: you can use a bit of shortening rubbed all over your fondant cake to get it slightly shiny and a depth to the colour. For shiny fondant though I believe steaming is the quickest and most effective way.

Angela_Elise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angela_Elise Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:09am
post #3 of 3

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%