Cupcake Swirl Tip Question

Baking By D1976 Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 10:20pm by Paperfishies

D1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D1976 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 14

Can someone please tell me what size round tip gives you this effect on a cupcake.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xSCff9iZo7I/TYXlfkaMN4I/AAAAAAAABH4/_xuPtbG38w0/s1600/P1080733.JPG

Thanks.

13 replies
EZSweetShop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EZSweetShop Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:27am
post #2 of 14

I'm going to assume a tip# 12

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:41am
post #3 of 14

I use the disposable bags and just cut part of the end off until it's the size I want, no tip necessary.

A tip 12 won't come out looking like that. I think you can order bigger round tips.

KellyGates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyGates Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 1:46am
post #4 of 14

I use the round tip in the Ateco Extra Wide Pastry Decorating Tip Set. It works perfectly.

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:09am
post #5 of 14

I haven't been able to get a 12 to do that. There are 806s and 807s that are much bigger. I bought a super big one from a local cake supply company, not a standard retailer, but it met the dreaded garbage disposal monster a few weeks ago so I can't tell you what it was. (So many of my tips have been sacrified to that cavern of doom.) icon_rolleyes.gif

That said, I find that the best tip for the big swirl you posted is actually a ziploc baggie with the corner snipped off. They honestly work better for me every single time. Even when my tip was alive I ended up using the ziploc baggies instead.

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:27am
post #6 of 14

I think the tip could be a 1-A. I use this tip a lot especially for my dam on layer cakes. They are a Wilton tip.

bohemiagetsajob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemiagetsajob Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:34am
post #7 of 14

Hrnewbie- I feel your pain. That garbage disposal monster's brother must live in my house. Many tips and couplers have met their doom the same way. icon_sad.gif

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:57am
post #8 of 14

I would just use the coupler without a tip.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:23am
post #9 of 14

They used to sell a tip repair tool that would fix tips that were only mangled a little bit in the disposal. Not sure if they still do. It was made by wilton.

thats2cute Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thats2cute Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:14am
post #10 of 14

So this is not related to the original topic, but I wanted to put my two cents in about the garbage disposal eating your tips and couplers. I bought this really neat gadget from QVC a couple months ago and fell in love! It is called the disposal genie and it sits in the drain to catch silverware or anything else but food from going down the disposal. It has been a life saver for my tips and couplers. You can still run the disposal even with the disposal genie in your drain so you don't ever have to take it out of the drain unless you want to.

Here is the link for it and for the price, it is worth it in my opinion. It has also saved many spoons and forks from being bent or roughed up by the disposal.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.V27861.desc.The-Disposal-Genie-with-Soft-Rubber-Scraper-Blade

integlspwr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
integlspwr Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 10:26am
post #11 of 14

anyone know what type of frosting and recipe is on that cupcake that you can use alot and not get diabetes?

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 10:52am
post #12 of 14

Diabetes is not caused by eating cupcakes with frosting. It is caused by host of factor including genetics, obesity, overall diet, etc.

integlspwr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
integlspwr Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 10:57am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

Diabetes is not caused by eating cupcakes with frosting. It is caused by host of factor including genetics, obesity, overall diet, etc.

i know i was being sarcastic.. lol

anyone know what type of frosting ?

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 10:20pm
post #14 of 14

A frosting that tastes like crap? lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%