Help! How Do I Keep Cutouts From Drying Out And More....

Decorating By orianaklump Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 2:07am by Marianna46

orianaklump Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orianaklump Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 8

I have another question.... icon_smile.gif I'm glad everyone is so helpful! I'm making a 6" round double layer cake covered with maroon fondant and gold cutouts. I printed a design that I'm going to use to decorate the cake. I am planning on cutting the design out of fondant and piecing it together on the cake. What is the best way to get the design on the fondant to cut the peices out? I have gold glaze that I'll be putting on the peices....I'm thinking I'll have to paint them after they are on the cake and not before, right? Will the cutouts dry out and crack if I cut them out all at once or can I cut them all out and cover them with plastic wrap? I have alot of issues with the edges of my cutouts drying out and cracking..... I'll attach the design I'm using so maybe someone can offer a suggestion. I thought about using a toothpick to make dots in the fondant that I could follow with a craft knife, but I'm worried the dots will end up giving it a ragged look....
P.S. The design will be sideways and almost full page size. I want it to wrap around the side and top of the cake....

7 replies
orianaklump Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know why the image isn't showing up....I'll post it to my album and try it that way...

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 8

When I'm making fondant or gumpaste cut-outs (like when I've cut out a lot of petals for making flowers), I take a large ziplock bag and slit it open down one side. I put my cut-outs in there and weight the open side down with a book or something heavy and long to keep air from getting in. Then I take out my petals, one flower at a time, and work with them. The reason I use a ziplock bag instead of just a simple plastic bag is that when I need to reach far inside the bag to put petals in or take them out, I can open up two sides and it's easier. There are several ways of transfering the design onto the fondant. One is to print out the design, cut out the shapes, place them on the fondant and cut around them. Another is to place the whole design on top of the fondant and prick the lines of the design with a pin as close together as you need to to be able to see how to cut when you lift up the pattern. You can also reverse print your design and outline it either with piping gel or melted chocolate. The piping gel will transfer to the fondant, but since it's transparent, you can't see it. Let the chocolate harden, turn the pattern onto the fondant and the chocolate will make an imprint on it. Hope this helps. Good luck with your cake!

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 8

You might be able to push a pin through the design as it is laid on top of the fondant and then cut out with an exacto knife. I would do a few at a time so you don't have a large amount of fondant exposed to the air. I use my plastic wilton practice board to keep cut-outs from drying out. Putting a damp cloth on top of the plastic sheet will also help prevent it from drying out. It shouldn't matter if the pieces have dried a bit when you put the gold glaze on it once they're on the cake. Hope that helps and good luck!

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 8

Several times I have cut things out well ahead of the cake order, especially if I know I will be short on time.
When I do this, I take a large zipper baggie (size depending) give it a lil dusting on the inside to prevent sticking and place my cutouts in there, zip it closed and put them in a safe place.
I never had a problem with cracking, breaking or bad edges afterwards.

orianaklump Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 8

The design is going to wrap around the side of the cake as well as the top, I'm worried they'll crack when they bend....it should be okay though if I just keep them in a bag? I cannot get over how fast everyone gets back to me! icon_smile.gif This is awesome! Thank you!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:07am
post #8 of 8

Yes, they should stay pliable if the bag is airtight. Forget about what I said about opening one side of the ziplock, though. That's only for keeping things soft until you use them and want them to dry when you're done with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%