Customer Complaints Of Bitter Taste From Food Coloring

Decorating By Amberwaves Updated 30 Apr 2011 , 4:15am by zespri

Amberwaves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberwaves Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 12

How do you address this when people want you to match intense and or dark colors?

Yesterday I had a customer mention it when ordering cupcakes from me. Apparently she was at a recent baby shower and loved the cupcakes I had made but didn't like the chemical taste (her words) in the buttercream. They were bright purple and teal to match the invitations and I used Americolor gel.

I ended up suggesting that we go with pastels so I could use very little coloring, but what do you all do? I see so many vibrantly colored cakes on here--do they have that same aftertaste?

11 replies
dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 12

I too tend to think that strong concentrations of Americolor have a bit of a taste; of course, it's not enough to keep me from eating it! icon_smile.gif The Wilton colors didn't have a taste to me, but, I also had a hard time getting to produce consistent color.

I know for deep red, you can start with a light chocolate base, if they don't mind it being chocolate. But, I don't have any suggestions for other colors. So, I'm interested to see what suggestions others have, also.

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 12

I let people know ahead of time that anything iced with deep colors will have a slight bitter taste due to the dyes used. I also suggest starting with chocolate icing for anything to be colored black.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 12

Powdered food coloring. No taste, no additives, just pure FD&C color compounds.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

What he said!

thumbs_up.gif

Amberwaves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberwaves Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Is that purchased along with Americolor, etc?

And do you make it a liquid before adding to buttercream, cookie glaze, etc?

Does it color chocolate without seizing?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberwaves

Is that purchased along with Americolor, etc?

A few places sell them online, you can do a search for "powdered food coloring" to find them.

Quote:
Quote:

And do you make it a liquid before adding to buttercream, cookie glaze, etc?

Nope, just sprinkle some coloring in with the buttercream and stir.

Quote:
Quote:

Does it color chocolate without seizing?

We haven't tried to color chocolate with it.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 12

Yes... it is perfect for coloring chocolate.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 12

Crystal Colors is a good brand of powder food colors that can be used in buttercream, royal icing, fondant, to dust with, to paint with....

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:42pm
post #10 of 12

The powdered colour I see most often here is branded 'Golden Day', not sure if it's in your part of thew world? I've also seen 'Roberts confectionary', and 'Corella'. And there is a french brand which apparently produces the most vibrant colours, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. Anyone heard of it?

They are still commonly used here for chocolate colouring, as oil based colours are as rare as hen's teeth, and very pricey.

And when I am doing red fondant, I will never use gel again, the powdered colour produces a rich red, with very little product used so it doesn't taste funny and isn't so sticky. You just get a drop of water (or as small as you can manage), and add it to some powder to turn it into a paste before adding it into your fondant.

zespri Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:46pm
post #11 of 12

BTW, if you can't get them where you are, and the cyrstal colours are too expensive, try buying them online in Australia. They have a great range, and their dollar is currently sitting at a fairly similar similar exchange rate to the US dollar. I've never tried any brand other than golden day, but as an example this place has the corella brand $3 for 15gms. I'm not endorsing this place, it was just the first one that came up when I googled.
http://www.completecakedec.com.au/Edible_Items2.htm

zespri Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 4:15am
post #12 of 12

for anyone interested, I just came across these powdered colours for a good price in the U.S.A.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?ShopId=46&CatId=535&SubCatId=1054

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%