Egg Whites

Baking By Eva2 Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 4:34pm by scp1127

Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 9:24am
post #1 of 9

Putting egg whites in your icing, is this safe?

8 replies
donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 9:55am
post #2 of 9

If it's a cooked icing yes. Are you making SMBC or IMBC? The whites should reach a temperature of 160 (some say 145 is safe). I keep mine refrigerated or in a very cool place for 24 hours but no more than that.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 10:47am
post #3 of 9

It depends where you live, as to whether your raw egg is safe or not ..

Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 9

I want to make a marshmellow icing for a smores cupcake. All the recipes call for egg whites.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 9

Do the recipes you are looking at call for cooking the egg whites? When I make SMBC the first step is to cook the egg whites and sugar over a double boiler and then whip them, it makes a marshmallow-y substance (it's really yummy). Something like that would cook them enough to make it safe. Also, you can purchase pasteurized egg whites, but they tend not to whip up very well...

SUNSHINEMOLLY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUNSHINEMOLLY Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 9:06am
post #6 of 9

Not if your pregnant ... like me .. So i'd want to know if it had uncooked egg. JMO icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 9

Raw eggs that are pasteurized in the shell are safe for everyone, per the FDA... look it up.

I am sure she is referring to SMBC and IMBC. In those cases, the whites must reach proper temperatures.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Raw eggs that are pasteurized in the shell are safe for everyone, per the FDA... look it up.

thumbs_up.gif

They cost about three times as much as unpasteurized eggs, at least where I live...but it's worth it. I use them mostly when I'm making mousse or gumpaste, then buy the regular eggs for everything else to save money.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 9

I have recipes that call for raw eggs. For family, I have just used regular raw eggs, exempting children, pregnant women, and the elderly from eating the item. When I started my business, I intended to offer the products. That was how I found the FDA information. Guess what? There isn't a pasteurized egg in any grocery store in my area. I had to scrap or modify all of my recipes. Example: The original recipe for Key Lime Pie has eggs with a baking time of 10 minutes. I love authenticity. I had to find a recipe that would bring the eggs to a higher temperature. My current recipe bakes for 30 minutes, but it kills me that it is not the original recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%