Cake Perfection

Decorating By clare076 Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 8:52pm by Debi2

clare076 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clare076 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 6

I am new here, but just wanted to ask people, are you always 100% happy with your cakes or do they have some slight imperfections that the average "non cake decorator" wouldn't notice???

I have only been making cakes for a little over 12 months and they are by no means perfect, and being a perfectionist I find making cakes for people really nerve wrecking.

I am currently making a 2 tier square wedding cake (which in itself is being difficult) but I have noticed the bottom layer has a slight imperfection in the icing. Now I am wondering should I pull off the icing and start again or should I leave it. I am 99% sure the average person wouldnt even notice it...but I can.

The other problem I am having is the lady only wanted a 2 tier cake to feed 100 people. I tried to explain 3 tier would be better but she was adamant that she wanted only 2 tier. Now I have had to make a 14 inch and 10 inch...making the cake look huge and they have provided a cake topper which is tiny in comparison and looks stupid. I have also tried to advise them that maybe using something a bit bigger would be better, but no they want this topper. I suppose I just have to do as they ask and if it looks stupid its their own fault.

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 6

You as the cake professional have to tell people when things will look dumb if you believe that, and possibly at least hint that you'll refuse the order. You act like and sound like you're in charge and they'll believe you are in charge!

And yes, after all these years, I still see flaws in every cake. However, customers don't see them.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by clare076

...but I have noticed the bottom layer has a slight imperfection in the icing. Now I am wondering should I pull off the icing and start again or should I leave it.

If it's slight, try covering the imperfection with decorations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clare076

Now I have had to make a 14 inch and 10 inch...making the cake look huge and they have provided a cake topper which is tiny in comparison and looks stupid.

Maybe you can talk them into a 112 serving 16" with a 6" on top rather than the 116 serving 14" with a 10" as the top tier. Call me crazy, but I'd rather see this huge difference in tier sizes with a normal top, than a huge bare top tier.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 6

Would you be able to place some decorations (piping, fondant or gumpaste flowers etc.?) around the topper, just to fill in some space so it didn't look so lonely and sparse on top? icon_wink.gif Just a thought. Good luck!

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 6

I'm never 100% happy! There's always something. If I'm not convinced that it looks fantastic, though, I fix whatever it is. I do wonder if I'll ever have a cake I'm 100% happy with. It's been a decade without one, though, so I doubt it icon_wink.gif

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 6

I think us "creative types" tend to be our own worst critics to start with. I'm guessing it's a rare thing for someone to have a "perfect" cake. "Perfect" is in the eye of the beholder and quite subjective anyway, right? ha ha Most people receiving your/our cakes wouldn't even notice a flaw that sticks out to us like a sore thumb. We obsess icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%