2" Or 3" Deep Pans For Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By bethie713 Updated 23 May 2013 , 9:53pm by Chellescakes

bethie713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethie713 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 13

Which do you normally use to make your wedding cakes, a 2" or 3" deep cake pans? I'm just curious. I've always bought 3" deep pans and I'm getting ready to do another wedding cake and I'm wondering which pans most of you use for the wedding cakes you bake and decorate. Which do you think looks the best?

12 replies
sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 13

I have been using 3 inch, but honestly when I go to the tent sale in June I am getting a couple two or three sets of the 2 inch. I just think they cook up so much quicker and easier and they can each be torted or you don't have to. But I have tried doing less batter in the 3's but when I turn them out I am so scared at the more space the cake has to fall to come out that it will break.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 12:07am
post #3 of 13

I use 2", for each tier I bake 3-2", I do not torte, just level and with filling I get a pefect hieght tier.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 12:16am
post #4 of 13

A typical height is 4" tall per tier.

For 18" diameter and larger tiers, I don't think it looks right unless they are at least 6" tall.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 12:51am
post #5 of 13

I use 2" pans so that I can torte each and use 3 layers of filling. However, wedding cakes these days varfy in tier heights, usually one tier taller than another, so I find that I also have more flexibility with 2" pans. For a taller tier tier I can bake three 2" cakes with 2 fillings.

As mentioned before, it depends, too, on the size of the round. A larger round will usually need to be taller to stay in proportion to shorter rounds; and small rounds need to be shorter to stay in proportion to to larger rounds. Picture an 18" cake that is 6" tall and a 5" cake that is 6" tall.

It's also easier to bake a 2" tall evenly - at least in my experience. I've gotten rid of all of my 3" pans.

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:00am
post #6 of 13

Like mentioned above, I usually do 3-2"ers, and then just level them, and have 2 fillings. It makes for a great height.

bethie713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethie713 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 2:29am
post #7 of 13

Thanks to all of you!!! You all gave me info that I had not taken into consideration. I bought 2" pans and I'm preparing a 16, 12 & 8 inch tiers. I like the ideas of not torting and having 3 layers per tier. I've just need to make sure all layers are the same height to ensure 6" tiers. Thanks again for everyone's input!!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 2:56am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethie713

Thanks to all of you!!! You all gave me info that I had not taken into consideration. I bought 2" pans and I'm preparing a 16, 12 & 8 inch tiers. I like the ideas of not torting and having 3 layers per tier. I've just need to make sure all layers are the same height to ensure 6" tiers. Thanks again for everyone's input!!

6" tall cake slices won't fit on dessert size plates when served... typical 4" tall cake slices will. When making 6" tall tiers, it's best to consider 3" tall layers (or three 1" tall layers) with a cake board in between at 3" to be able to serve manageable slices.

jdecock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdecock Posted 23 May 2013 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 13

So..... how tall does each tier end up being using 3, 2" pans?

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 23 May 2013 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 13

You may also want to consider the type of supports you are using.  If you use something like the SPS, having the cake taller than 4" means cutting your own pillars instead of using the pre-cut 4" size.  I have 3" pans but have started baking two 2" layers and torting them. 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 23 May 2013 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 13

I use both, but I do like the 2" because it's so easy to level the top. However, I torte them, and do 4 1" layers. Like CWR said, they don't fit on a dessert plate otherwise.

I tend to fill use multiple fillings, so being able to have 3 layers of filling works better. I also prefer the look and taste of thinner layers of cake, but that's a personal thing.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 23 May 2013 , 7:07pm
post #12 of 13

I prefer to bake 2" layers in 3" pans. 

I find that the layers bake up quite level on their own that way with no option of overflowing.  They bake in the same amount of time as a 2" pan because the batter amount is the same.

I level & torte all of my 2" layers (with an Agbay leveler).  Those that I bake in 3" pans can always be leveled to exactly 2".

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 23 May 2013 , 9:53pm
post #13 of 13

I bake in 3" pans , I use a collar so the mix comes up above the pan slightly then I can get three one inch layers out of each cake . 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%