Fondant Flowers

Decorating By newfoundorian Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 10:14pm by newfoundorian

newfoundorian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newfoundorian Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 6

Good day, I'm new to fondant, so new i've never made it before! I'm going to be making MMF, and was just wondering, how long does it last? If i were to make Fondant flowers now, would they still be good to decorate a cake in a months time??????

5 replies
luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 6

I think that they last for a long time...as long as you don't put them in the fridge. I'm new to everything and have also experimented with fondant flowers as well as gum paste ones. I've watched every you tube tutorial, tried to pay close attention...and my flowers look awful. I like fondant better than gumpaste, but gumpaste dries quicker. My edges won't frill without breaking, my "dough" sticks all the time. This has turned out to be much harder than it looks. Good luck to you!

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 6

Yes they'll last months, assuming you don't want people actually eating them. Just keep them out of the light so they don't fade, especially the darker colored ones. And put them in a container (not airtight) so they don't get dusty. I have figures and flowers that I've made for family cakes that I have saved the figures from and they are still in one piece, hard as a rock...And my granddaughter plays with them like they are toys icon_redface.gif

luckyblueeye, try adding a little tylose powder to your mmf and it will dry faster and harder. For the stickyness, try dusting the surface with cornstarch.

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks debbief! When I watch Edna's videos, I see that her gumpaste isn't nearly as sticky as mine...probably didn't add enough powdered sugar when I mixed it. I'll try tylose w/MMF next time.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyblueeye

Thanks debbief! When I watch Edna's videos, I see that her gumpaste isn't nearly as sticky as mine...probably didn't add enough powdered sugar when I mixed it. I'll try tylose w/MMF next time.

I have never made my own gum paste. I really like the pre-made Wilton gum paste. It works great--particularly for bows and flowers. And gum paste usually needs Crisco instead of powdered sugar to make it easier to work with. In fact, I prefer using Crisco even with fondant when I'm molding something.

newfoundorian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newfoundorian Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for the info! I think this is gonna be a wonderful site!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%