Cake Cooking Problems

Baking By KrystalBella Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 6:10pm by MrsMoe07

KrystalBella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrystalBella Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 8:20am
post #1 of 7

Hi i have a 900mm oven and im finding it very hard to get my cakes right. They either sink in the middle or dont rise with straight edges. It comes away from the pan at the top leaving the edges un even. What am i doing wrong.
Krystal

6 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 10:56am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystalBella

Hi i have a 900mm oven and im finding it very hard to get my cakes right. They either sink in the middle or dont rise with straight edges. It comes away from the pan at the top leaving the edges un even. What am i doing wrong.
Krystal

Krystal
It may be the recipe. Is it all cakes that do that to you? I find that happens to me when i bake sponges (sometimes).

KrystalBella Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 7:43am
post #3 of 7

I have cooked a Butter Cake and Pound cake and it happened to both. Maybe i should try a mud cake or something like that to see if it does the same. Its really only my first cake that does it. The second one seems to turn out great.

Chala86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chala86 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:04am
post #4 of 7

It might be worth investing in an oven thermometer to find out exactly what temperature your oven is. Also, you could try putting a flower nail in the middle of your cake tin before pouring in the batter so the heat is evenly distributed.

KrystalBella Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:26am
post #5 of 7

Hi Chala86
Thank you. Does the flower nail really work? I might just have to try that. I have never had this issue before but we renovated our kitchen and bought a new oven which is bigger then the old one. I guess i just need to keep practicing to find out what works best.
This is the best website - Everyone is very helpful
Thank you again icon_surprised.gif)

Chala86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chala86 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 9:14am
post #6 of 7

Lots of people have said that it works but I haven't tried it yet. Let me know how it goes.

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chala86

It might be worth investing in an oven thermometer to find out exactly what temperature your oven is. Also, you could try putting a flower nail in the middle of your cake tin before pouring in the batter so the heat is evenly distributed.

I bought an oven thermometer and its the best thing I've done! My oven heats at about 20 degrees less that I set so baking at 325 was really 305 which wasn't working out at all. I also use a flower nail and don't notice THAT much difference, but probably because I'm only making 9". Anything larger I hear people swear by them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%