Pricing And Shipping

Baking By KrisCraft Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 3:48am by JanH

KrisCraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisCraft Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 5:06am
post #1 of 6

I am a hobby baker, baking for friends and relatives for gifts and special occasions. I made some airplane cookies for my daughters inflight graduation class that were flooded white with the airlines name across them. I bagged them in cello bags and tied with a ribbon. The event co-ordinator of the airline approached me about making the same cookie favors for future classes.

I see posts on here with prices of 3.00 a cookie. Would I also add on for shipping and packing them? I was thinking 3.00 seemed a little high per cookie, I am not used to pricing cookies. I get my bags at cost and ribbon wholesale in LA so the packaging is inexpensive. I know I have to take into account supplies, and my time and postage.. I am just not sure what a fair price would be. They are used to ordering logo cupcakes and do have a budget to pay a fair price. Please help!

5 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 5:27am
post #2 of 6

You cannot ship across state lines or out of the country without FDA approval, one of the highest set of requirements. It must be a separate, FDA approved commercial kitchen, registration with the Bioterrorism Act is required, you must have a recall protocol, and you must keep their production forms for their required amount of time. You also must have FDA issued nutritional labels on all items. The penalties are stiff. If you make someone sick and they report it, you will have the feds and their fines at your door. This is serious since 9/11.

KrisCraft Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 6

These would only be shipped within the state. Not across state lines. like I said I just bake for friends and family, I don't sell cookies. I just wanted to know what to tell this person from the airline who asked about ordering more for future classes. I just made cookie favors for her class graduation and he wanted to know if he could order more for the next class.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 6

You still need to follow the licensing requirements for your area before you sell anything to anybody. This is outside thr realm of family and friends. All of those costs need to be cosidered before you can price.

KrisCraft Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you for the info. I didn't know and thought I would ask here. That is all way too much trouble for me. They can order them from a bakery instead. Thank you.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 3:48am
post #6 of 6

Thread locked at OP's request.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%