Wet On Wet - Black Sinks/shadows Under Other Colors

Baking By OneCreativeCookie Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 1:15pm by splymale

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 3:06am
post #1 of 2

I'm stumped. Anyone out there have success adding black dots to a wet base color without it sinking under the base color and creating what looks like a shadow? (It's not bleeding, the architect in me cut the cookie in half and looked at what was happening to see that the black had actually partially sunk under the white and the shadow effect was created by the thin layer of white that had creeped over the top/edge of the black dot.)

I have tried several times to do black dots on other colors of frosting. First it was black dots on wet white for dalmations. This time, I was trying to do black dots onto dark pink lingiere. In both instances, the black dot sunk under the other icing a bit and it created a "shadow" effect. For the dalmations, I didn't notice it until the next morning (day the order was being picked up!) with the pink cookies last week, I knew what to look for and spotted it early before I had done the whole order!

I have tried to keep the consistancy exactly the same between the black and the base color so that the black was not denser than the base. If anything, the amount of coloring would automaticcally make the black thinner than the base.

1 reply
splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 2

I would think if the black was thicker than the base, that would work better.
Just guessing...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%