Why The Transfat??

Baking By MrsMoe07 Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 11:27pm by MrsMoe07

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 2:50am
post #1 of 7

I keep reading how you WANT your shortening to have some transfat?! I thought transfat was bad for you?? Why do I want the transfat vs using Crisco or another shortening with no transfat?

Sorry still learning. Thanks icon_smile.gif

6 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 10:52am
post #2 of 7

not sure on this one, but to answer your questions, trans fats are bad for you, very very bad.

http://www.naturalnews.com/019410.html

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 7

Well, we could talk some more about this, but you stand the chance of this post getting deleted. There was a discussion going yesterday on ILL banning transfat. For some reason it got deleted. I guess putting the truth out there about transfat is banned on CC. Because the last post I read just gave the details on how transfat is bad for the body and that seemed like enough to ban it.

With it being banned, I am glad that I started making my frosting the way I did without depending on transfat. Not knowing what I will be missing will make it easier for me to use the frosting recipes I have and be happy. It must be hard for some who have had tried and true recipes to find a way to get the same results again. Because it is not good for your health I purposely avoided products with transfat and recipes that rely on transfat. Now I don't won't have to readjust my baking as a result.

MrsMoe07 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 7

Yea I hate using the shortening and definitely don't want the transfat added to my guilt of so much shortening. Thats messed up we can't discuss this though.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 7

When Crisco stopped using trans fats in their icing some people had issues with it. More just it being a softer icing and not holding up to heat as well as it use to.

The thing is that Crisco hasn't had trans fats in it in over 3 years. I'm thinking more like 4-5 years. So if you have made icing in the last few years with Crisco and haven't had any problems then I say keep using it.

If you have had issues with it, look into IndyDebi's Buttercream recipe. She uses Crisco in it, and has never had any problems with it.

Personally I have tried the shortening (Walmart store brand) that does have Trans fats in it, and actually didn't like the way the icing came out, even though there are people that rave about that shortening all the time.

Cakes aren't healthy. Even with out the trans fats in shortening there are still plenty of fat grams, calories and carbs in cakes. Just removing them doesn't make the cake healthy.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Well, we could talk some more about this, but you stand the chance of this post getting deleted. There was a discussion going yesterday on ILL banning transfat. For some reason it got deleted. I guess putting the truth out there about transfat is banned on CC. Because the last post I read just gave the details on how transfat is bad for the body and that seemed like enough to ban it.

If you'd care to start a thread regarding the health benefits (or lack thereof) of trans fat, please feel free to do so. icon_smile.gif

But the thread was removed (for review) because it contained numerous political statements (which aren't allowed per CC policy) and which did nothing to answer the OP's question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCities

The legislation, which recently passed the Illinois House, would ban trans fats in foods .. If the Senate approves and our huge (deleted) Gov. Quinn signs it .. this will not be good what so ever .. The best bakery in the Quad Cities might open shop in Iowa .. And for myself I work out of my home and I just started getting orders for graduations party's, summer weddings etc .. If this gets sign this will be the 2nd state ..

California was the first state to do this .. So for the California baker's how is this working out for you?

And there are 395 threads on trans fat on CC, so if there's a ban on the subject - nobody's informed me. icon_lol.gif

HTH

MrsMoe07 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 7

Being unhealthy and being bad for you are two different things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%