Using A Community Kitchen??

Decorating By CakeCrystal5308 Updated 30 Apr 2011 , 12:24am by Stephy42088

CakeCrystal5308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystal5308 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 2

Hello,

Does anyone know Irvine, Orange County, California law on baking out of a community kitchen?

I live in an apartment complex that has a community kitchen (in which, they teach cooking classes out of and such)

Now, if I were able to use this kitchen to bake my cakes and such out of would that be legal?

I cannot afford to rent an incubator kitchen (the best price I found so far was a $700 start up - $200 min (8hrs) and $500 deposit)

I was starting to build a small clientele when I found out how illegal it was to sell cakes/cupcakes from home (even though it was 100% delivery). And so I don't anymore, I make cakes but not for profit (just as a hobby now).

I would only be making 1-2 orders a month for awhile, that much I know, so I am exhausting every possibility so that I can do this. IF and WHEN I know that my stuff will sell a little more consistently I will fork out the money to rent/buy a commercial kitchen but until then?

So again, does anyone know if a community kitchen-that teaches cooking lessons too- would be a legal enough of a kitchen for me to use if I was able to obtain permission?

Please help! Thank you!

1 reply
Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 12:24am
post #2 of 2

I have been using a community kitchen for a while and got it licensed just fine (i'm in iowa though). Although, I'm having to move locations and rent an actual shop because it is always being used or rented out when I need it for other events so make sure you plan for that. Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%