Silver Or Chrome Fondant

Decorating By Danscaper Updated 3 May 2011 , 4:15pm by ConnieJ

Danscaper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danscaper Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 11

i have never worked with fondant, and i am making a set of scrubs for a friends graduation. I want to make a stethascope look as realistic as possible. How can i make the fondant chrome or silver colored?

10 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 11

You can use lustre dust mixed with a little clear alcohol and paint it on or use a silver edible spray that comes in a can icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 11

If you use luster dust-don't try to paint with Wilton dusts. I've never had any luch with them working well for painting.

Danscaper Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 1:09am
post #4 of 11

So like a rum or vodka...still confused

mimi1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi1218 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 1:33am
post #5 of 11

Yes vodka, mix the luster dust with a very little bit of vodka and then paint it on. The alcohol will evaporate off and the color from the luster dust will stay.
You can do multiple coats to get the desired metallic look. Just make sure to give it plenty of time to dry in between coats. godd luck!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 2:29am
post #6 of 11

I've had good luck with making a light grey fondant, then painting it with a dab of vodka in the silver luster dust. A few coats works well.

Danscaper Posted 1 May 2011 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 11

thank you all for the suggestions

kendra_83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendra_83 Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 11

I made a racecar cake with a top tier that needed to look like a metal diamond plate pattern. I simply covered the tier with grey fondant and then airbrushed it with silver luster dust mixed with vodka and the effect came out great. You could also use a brush to paint it on if you don't have an airbrush. You can check out my photos to see the cake. It's a three tier with blue, red, and silver.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 11

I've had the best luck with lemon extract instead of vodka. The alcohol content is way higher icon_smile.gif in lemon extract. Go figure. Vodka made my paint too watery.

I also had good luck, though some haven't, with the Duff cake spray at Michaels. I shook it well, and warmed it slightly while shaking over a hot burner on the stove (dh said spray paints do best if they're warm), and it did great for painting my corona bucket.

jcook83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcook83 Posted 3 May 2011 , 4:11pm
post #10 of 11

That's so funny...I was coming to the forum to ask this same question. Ive tried a couple methods that haven't worked that well but I haven't tried vodka. Thanks for the great suggestions!

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 3 May 2011 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 11

these are all awesome tips! i'm glad you asked the question!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%