Baking Schdule?

Decorating By Andreasmom09 Updated 24 Apr 2011 , 6:35pm by dubs1027

Andreasmom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andreasmom09 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 5:05am
post #1 of 6

When baking for whatever reason ( wedding, babyshower, ect)
How far along do you make your cake/cupcakes, frosting, fondant, fondant figures and other decorations before the day of the event.. I have a cupcake order with a small cake due in a couple weeks, and i dont know how far ahead of time i should start making everything.. I dont want to wait too long and be overwhelmed but i also dont want everything not to be fresh.. Eh? any tips would be nice please!!

5 replies
can2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
can2d Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 5:29am
post #2 of 6

I personally start the week of the due date, I ve heard that u can make figures waaaaaaay ahead of time but I would not if they r going to be eaten. If it is a cake I bake it on Thursday, decorate Friday and deliver on sat. Cup cakes since they r easy I would bake them the day before and decorate them depending on how many u have 2 make. If u r making figures for each cup cake start the same week put them in a plastic container with a lid and keep them out of sun light, heat, and humid areas. Hope this helps!

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 7:03am
post #3 of 6

At the bakery I work at we bake Mon, Tues or Wed, then ice and stack thursday and decorate friday then deliver saturday...It is all done within the week depending on the day we're delivering. Decorations are made that week or up to a few weeks before, but it also depends on what you are making and if you need it to dry hard or not.

Sweetgrl1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetgrl1963 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 6

I do quite a bit of baking. I always bake on Monday, for a Saturday delivery. I bake , fill stack and ice Wrap each cake in 4 layers if plastic wrap, and freeze. My freezer is for cakes only. I remove from freezer on thur, and cover with fondant, and decorate thur evening and fri for a Saturday delivery. I have also froze cup cakes for a week and they turned out excellent. For a few dozen I probably would not freeze, but this was for a cupcake wedding of 250. Hope this helps.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 6

I always bake the week before and freeze everything. I find that it helps keep the cakes moist. I thaw (in the fridge) the day before I start filling and stacking which is usually on a Thursday for a Saturday delivery.

dubs1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dubs1027 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

I always bake the week before and freeze everything. I find that it helps keep the cakes moist. I thaw (in the fridge) the day before I start filling and stacking which is usually on a Thursday for a Saturday delivery.

When you thaw the cakes, do you keep them covered? I know that sounds strange, but I would think that if it was covered, then condensation would be an issue. If it was not covered, then I think that it would dry out. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%