When To Charge

Decorating By KimErskine Updated 24 Apr 2011 , 8:28am by scp1127

KimErskine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimErskine Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 3:13am
post #1 of 3

Hi I'm new to cake decorating and having so much fun. My problem is now that I'm doing it every one wants a cake and I have made many many but only been paid for one. I feel like I can't charge family and now I have some close friends asking for them. I feel bad charging friends but it's getting very expensive. Supplies are not cheap and hours go into some of these cakes. What is a polite way to tell someone yes I will but I have to charge?

2 replies
tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 4:53am
post #2 of 3

Legalities aside......

If it takes time away from your family, if it takes money out of your pocket, they better be paying. Would you pay their power bill for kicks and giggles? NO? Then why pay for their party cake?

Every cake YOU pay for takes money away from something you could be getting or treats for your babies. HUH? Really? No way!!

A REAL friend will not even expect you to do it for free. At minimum get costs of cake and minimum wage per hour plus $20 for power/gas/water.

Get it?

Another point:

How much would your cake sell for at a bakery? $50 $60? $100?

When I'm asked to do a cake for free, I simply ask, "how many other friends are giving a $60 gift? When they do, I will." I love it when they ask for a wedding cake free - and many guests are giving you a $700 gift? No one? Really?

If I offer, it's free.
You ask, you are paying. If they don't like it.... let them go get a free cake from the bakery - go for it!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 8:28am
post #3 of 3

As tryingcake mentioned, make sure you can sell baked goods from your home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%