Traveling For Cake Contests

Decorating By brown_suga Updated 12 May 2011 , 4:08pm by Marianna46

brown_suga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brown_suga Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 1:43am
post #1 of 9

For those of you who compete at cake shows... What do you do when there's a competition that occurs in other states? Do you fly or drive? How do you get the cake there? I'm interested in starting to compete but there aren't many contests where I live. (NYC)

8 replies
brown_suga Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 9

40 views and no replies icon_sad.gif
Anybody...?

sugarlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlover Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 9

I would think that you would drive it to the location.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 9

I've never done this, but the day I do, I'll be driving. You not only have to transport the cake (which would be next to impossible on a plane), but you have to take your basic repair kit - icing bags, tips, icings, fondant/gumpaste and any other little thing you might need for setting up at the site, plus your personal belongings. So even if it's a long way away, I don't see how you could do it except in a car. Does anybody have any real experience they'd like to tell us about here? I'd be glad to know too.

brown_suga Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:40am
post #5 of 9

Bump

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 12 May 2011 , 5:25am
post #6 of 9

Flew from Shanghai, China, to Birmingham England

driving would've taken too long

Marianna46 Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 9

Did you fly with your already-made cake, with a suitcase-full of baking and decorating equipment, or did you have everything available to you in England, Ursula40? I was thinking of the first case in my previous post, but of course your circumstances were totally different. I'd be interested in how you did it, because if I ever go to a cake competition, it would be in the States and I wouldn't be able to drive, either.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 9

it was a pastillage piece, not cake, but even though, you just have to read through all the requirements fot the diffenrent pieces. Some you can use dummies, others real cake, others pastillage.

OK, some things broke, you bring a makeup kit and hope it's fixable, but even though some things did break, I still got a bronze. For a first real compitition as a self educated cake decorator, not a bad result at all. Worst was getting up the courage to do it, after that (and all the nagging of a cake friend, that I HAD to bring something), the owrst was actually for my family, who had to endure all the nervousness and the broken bits of pieces liying all around the house. I do have a cake room, but that was too small foe the ONE piece to decided to bring (I made loads of pieces and chose the best)

I did email hte airline (Lufthansa) and informed them, that I was bringing a breakable piece, made sure that it fit in the handluggege requirements AND the requiremants of the piece of the compition and broke that up so i could assemble in England (talk about MATH, UGHHHHH)

Marianna46 Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks, that's very interesting. It sounds like a lot of work, but one of these days, I'm going to screw up my courage and just do it. Congratulations on your bronze - I'm sure it was well deserved!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%