Pleats On Cakes

Decorating By Millyscakes Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm by LisaPeps

Millyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Millyscakes Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 6

Hi guys, I have been commissioned to recreate this cake. Does anyone know how to do these pleats/panels? Thank you all in advance!

5 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 6

Can you link us to the cake, the image posting isn't working.

Millyscakes Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 11:36am
post #3 of 6

Thank you for your response. This is the cake, http://www.weddingmagazine.co.uk/cakes_article.php?id=268%20&&%20num=

LisaPeps Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 6

Ah, she says it's a chocolate pleated wedding cake. It's by Mich Turner. She uses 'White Chocolate Plastique' which is basically modelling chocolate. She has a recipe in her book Couture Wedding Cakes, the how to on this cake is also in that book. Or you can buy Cocoform off the net, just google it. She rolls it out and cuts strips to 4x10cm and glues them in place with white chocolate.

You should get the book for more detailed instructions, I'd recommend it. Some lovely cakes and recipes in there.

HTH

Millyscakes Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much hun, my bride wants it in fondant though, can that be achieved? Was thinking of making gumpaste as it will be more pliable. Just thinking though, please help!

LisaPeps Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 6

Gumpaste or flower paste would not taste nice at all so I wouldn't advice that. You could probably do it in fondant though I'm not sure how well it would stand up, whether it would droop or not. You could do a 50/50 mix of modelling chocolate and fondant to make it firmer. Did you run the modelling chocolate suggestion by her? It tastes nicer than fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%