Fondant Problem Over Ganache Crumb Coat

Decorating By Tony914 Updated 28 Apr 2011 , 3:50am by Tony914

Tony914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tony914 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 8

I've been crumb coating with ganache, white and dark chocolate. I really like the ganache crumb coat but my MM fondant often breaks apart on the top edges of the cake, sometime just a little and sometimes a lot. The ganache/cake is cold when I apply the fondant. How can I fix this problem?

Thanks.

7 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 8

Did you have this problem prior to using ganache? I can't see why it would be the ganache which is causing the problem. I would say the fondant is too dry or doesn't have enough elasticity.

russette80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
russette80 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 8

Same thought here, maybe it's too dry or it's rolled to thin. Not sure but I have never had this problem.

Tony914 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 8

No I did not have this problem prior to using ganache. The fondant seems elastic enough, It stretches and does not tear prior to rolling. Maybe it's too dry. I do use a lot of sugar/cornstarch (50/50) when I roll it out. I usually roll to between 1/4" to 3/16" thickness.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 8

Even with a full coating of ganache, I like to apply a cushioning coat of buttercream before applying my fondant.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 8

I agree about the fondant but you might also have a crumb coat that is actually too cold. I find that if I chill it In my home fridge it's fine and I get no tearing but sometimes when I am at work and the cake chills in the commercial walk-in it gets so cold and firm that it can tear more easily.

That being said, it only tears if the fondant I am using is a bit less than perfect consistency and stretch... Just a thought

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 8

Add a little crisco to your fondant. It makes it really nice and elastic. You can use it to make fondant decorations but they won't dry as fast or as hard.

Tony914 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 3:50am
post #8 of 8

Hi all,

The ganache was right out of my home fridge. Next time I'll wait a bit so it warms just a little and see what happens.

I did use a little Crisco and it does make the fondant stretchy. Maybe I used too much and it got too stretchy?

Thanks for all you're replies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%