How Do I Stiffen Up My Mmf???

Baking By Cranny Updated 23 Apr 2011 , 8:42pm by DeniseNH

Cranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cranny Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 3:43am
post #1 of 3

Hi folks - I have a cake due next week - a Derby Birthday. Want to make a hat cake, with some roses on it, made out of fondant. I make MMF often, and it stays soft for a while, but would like to have it a little stiffer for the roses I'm making, as well as the rim of the hat.

I think I can put some GP in the MMF mix, but how much? I usually use the 16oz pkg of MM's - what would be the suggested amount of GP to add to stiffen the fondant up a bit so it will dry a little more sturdy?

Thanks for the info.

2 replies
JoanieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanieB Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 3

I've added gum-tex to fondant before to stiffen it up. However, I've never added it to my MMF. Sooo, that being said I guess I'm not that much help. I don't see why a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and MMF wouldn't work. However, I probably wouldn't risk it since I've never mixed the two. I'd probably just use gumpaste for the flowers and regular fondant with gumtex for the rim.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 3

I have mixed the two together in equal proportions and it works beautifully. I've also mixed CMC/Tylose to MMF but it didn't stiffen it up enough so I agree with the other poster - Gumpaste for the flowers and MMF for the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%