What Is Your Best Moist Vanilla Cupcake Recipe?

Baking By SUNSHINEMOLLY Updated 15 Oct 2017 , 8:42pm by funzo

SUNSHINEMOLLY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUNSHINEMOLLY Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 3:39am
post #1 of 54

I have tried a few but always seem to go dry after a day? icon_sad.gif
Would love to read a few 'tried & Tested' ones

53 replies
SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 54

This is what I use and, always get rave reviews:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350.
Cream butter, sugar, and eggs together until fluffy. Add vanilla.
Combine dry ingredients (and I sift) into a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients.

Scoop into cupcake tins (best is about 3/4 full) and bake for 20-25 mins at 350. Let cool.

heaven_khan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heaven_khan Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 1:21am
post #3 of 54

hi

for the flour, do you use all purpose or Self Raising flour

SweetSuzieQ Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 2:29am
post #4 of 54

I simply use AP flour.

SUNSHINEMOLLY Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 8:20am
post #5 of 54

Do you use room temperature eggs?

I made some vanilla cupcakes the other day and they were soooo DRY and it asked for 1 egg and 2 egg whites....
I wonder if the egg whites made it dry?

I hate making these (edited) vanilla cupcakes only to get horrible dry ones..

So the more answers to this the better. Pleeeeease icon_smile.gif

SweetSuzieQ Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 54

I usually do room temp eggs. I generally take my eggs out when I take my butter out. I sift my flour and, I don't over beat my batter.

SweetSuzieQ Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 54

Oh, and the other tip is until you know your oven...check the cupcakes more often. My oven is 22 minutes max to perfect but, better to pull them out slightly under than over. I just use a toothpick the first time and checked every minute around the 20 mark and, as soon as I got it to come out semi clean, I pulled them out,.

Takeelah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Takeelah Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:10pm
post #8 of 54

I was dead set against using a box mix base until I tried this WASC recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/white-almond-sour-cream-wedding-cake-69630

It made wonderfully moist cupcakes that stayed moist for a couple days. The box mix smell/taste is gone the following day, so I always make them the day before I need them. I also half and even quarter the recipe.

(For plain white cake, just leave out the almond flavor.)

integlspwr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
integlspwr Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeelah

It made wonderfully moist cupcakes that stayed moist for a couple days. The box mix smell/taste is gone the following day, so I always make them the day before I need them. I also half and even quarter the recipe.

I have used the WASC box mix before using a white cake mix but it has always come out chemically tasting which I do not like and can not stand.

EZSweetShop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EZSweetShop Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeelah

I MUST try this recipe!!!

EZSweetShop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EZSweetShop Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:24pm
post #11 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSuzieQ

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine dry ingredients (and I sift) into a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients.

Scoop into cupcake tins (best is about 3/4 full) and bake for 20-25 mins at 350. Let cool.

Trying yours too!!! thumbs_up.gif

SweetcakesCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetcakesCT Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:29pm
post #12 of 54

I was in the same boat as the OP, and thought I'd found the answer with the Magnolia Bakery vanilla cuppies. Unfortunately, those were not reliable, for some reason. Two days ago I tried Martha Stewart's Yellow Buttermilk cuppies, and they are delish. Still good two days later. Today I'm trying Pioneer Woman's basic vanilla cupcake cuz she makes it with shortening, and I find that interesting. They're cooling now, so I'm eager to compare it with Martha's.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 4 May 2011 , 8:01pm
post #13 of 54

I'll be interested to hear your comparison.

=]

SUNSHINEMOLLY Posted 4 May 2011 , 9:29pm
post #14 of 54

I also tried this recipe ... and they were VERY VERY GOOD!!

1 cup white sugar
½ cup butter ( 250 gms)
2 eggs
1 ½ tsp Vanilla extract (i used almost 2)
1 ½ cups Plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup milk ( I used butter milk)
160 degrees fan forced oven (350 i think in US)
Cream butter, sugar and egg until fluffy, add vanilla
Sift all dry ingredients, add ½ dry ingredients to mixture, mix until just combined, add milk
Then add rest of ingredients.
Cook until just dry 15 mins then watch

It was almost like a doughy biscuit mix, i was worried, but they were fabulous! I even kept in fridge for a day and once 'room temp' they were still very very moist and delicious

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 4 May 2011 , 9:54pm
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNSHINEMOLLY

1 cup white sugar
½ cup butter ( 250 gms)
2 eggs
1 ½ cups Plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
Sift all dry ingredients, add ½ dry ingredients to mixture, mix until just combined, add milk

It was almost like a doughy biscuit mix, i was worried, but they were fabulous! I even kept in fridge for a day and once 'room temp' they were still very very moist and delicious

What about the acid with the buttermilk? I do not think that there is enough acid in baking powder to support the buttermilk...did you not use any baking soda?

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:57pm
post #16 of 54

If you aren't against pudding mix - how about sticking a box of vanilla pudding mix into the cake batter - it makes it sooooo moisticon_smile.gif

lilmissbakesalot Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:56pm
post #17 of 54

That can mess up a scratch cake though. Some recipes can't handle the extra sugar and weight.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 5 May 2011 , 9:48pm
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

That can mess up a scratch cake though. Some recipes can't handle the extra sugar and weight.

lilmissbakesalot, there are many on this site who bake scratch cakes that may disagree with this statement...possibly you may need a better scratch cake recipe...I have used pudding in my scratch recipes for years and they have always been able to handle the pudding.

I would gladly share several great scratch recipes that work with or without pudding. There is one at the bottom at AllRecipes that works great. Hope that this helps.

Here are some other places that will show you that many of us use pudding mixes in scratch recipes. There are a lot more in the forums...hope you can see these without some Error 404 showing up
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6556738&sid=d57c1d7f890fa7ff557694b91bb31368

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=5858507&sid=35a00c794817059587aa632d2462f0b3

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6071282&sid=a61bef6a48f2db9d7609a44b75319112

See this recipe on Allrecipes.com... http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/cake-mixes-from-scratch-and-variations/Detail.aspx

lilmissbakesalot Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:13am
post #19 of 54

Well I never said it would mess with ALL scratch recipes and I also didn't say it would always not be able to handle it. icon_smile.gif I never speak in absolutes like that... especially when I don't have a ton of experience.

As for the recipe advice... sorry... not going to screw with a perfectly fine recipe with a pudding packet. It totally moots the point of scratch baking for me. I also have the same aversion to shortening, but that's just me. I'm sure it works fine.. I just don't like using it (shortening that is). You can add coffee creamer to the list of things I won't use too. I have plenty of moist recipes that don't require the addition of pudding mix. I can see though how it could be okay since pudding packets have a lot of emulsifiers in them. I see no need to go there though... If you are going to go the route of adding a pudding packet you might as well just doctor a mix. Of course that's just my silly opinion. icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:27am
post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

Well I never said it would mess with ALL scratch recipes and I also didn't say it would always not be able to handle it. icon_smile.gif I never speak in absolutes like that... especially when I don't have a ton of experience.

As for the recipe advice... sorry... not going to screw with a perfectly fine recipe with a pudding packet. It totally moots the point of scratch baking for me. I also have the same aversion to shortening, but that's just me. I'm sure it works fine.. I just don't like using it (shortening that is). You can add coffee creamer to the list of things I won't use too. I have plenty of moist recipes that don't require the addition of pudding mix. I can see though how it could be okay since pudding packets have a lot of emulsifiers in them. I see no need to go there though... If you are going to go the route of adding a pudding packet you might as well just doctor a mix. Of course that's just my silly opinion. icon_smile.gif

It's my silly opinion, too. No shortening, coffee creamers or puddings in my cakes. I'm sure it works for others, though. But there are plenty recipes out there that are moist and delicious without all the additives.

SweetcakesCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetcakesCT Posted 6 May 2011 , 7:20am
post #21 of 54

After trying both Martha's and Pioneer Woman's vanilla recipes, I have to stick with Martha's. I'm afraid I just couldn't get into the taste of PW's. I'm sure it was the shortening, but it had an indescribable flavor to it, maybe greasy???..Anyway, I've tried so many vanilla recipes, I'm just happy I found one (MS's) that doesn't make me have some water nearby to wash it down.

FairyCakeLuv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyCakeLuv Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:39pm
post #22 of 54
Quote:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350.

I used this recipe. I used a little more vanilla. Added a couple things and wow it came out really good! Thanks!

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 8 May 2011 , 3:33am
post #23 of 54

This is my favorite:

http://www.marthastewart.com/255457/billys-vanilla-vanilla-cupcakes

Billy's is a famous bakery in NYC. This is so good that you can eat it and enjoy it without frosting.

SUNSHINEMOLLY Posted 8 May 2011 , 9:57am
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNSHINEMOLLY

1 cup white sugar
½ cup butter ( 250 gms)
2 eggs
1 ½ cups Plain flour
1 tsp baking powder

What about the acid with the buttermilk? I do not think that there is enough acid in baking powder to support the buttermilk...did you not use any baking soda?

Honestly they were great!! just used baking powder

SUNSHINEMOLLY Posted 8 May 2011 , 9:58am
post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyCakeLuv

Quote:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350.

I used this recipe. I used a little more vanilla. Added a couple things and wow it came out really good! Thanks!

I did too actually

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 8 May 2011 , 5:04pm
post #26 of 54

What did you add? What couple of things?

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 8 May 2011 , 7:12pm
post #27 of 54
Quote:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350.

I didn't see the baking powder at first. Sounds like it might be yum!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:19pm
post #28 of 54

I tried the Martha Stewart recipe. It was OK but I still love the Golden Vanilla cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I'm always on a search for a better vanilla cupcake and end up coming back to this one.

JenJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJane Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:44pm
post #29 of 54

Osgirl, It's funny because I just printed that recipe off the other day. I was thinking of using it for my cousin's bridal shower cupcakes but I wasn't sure how good it was..... that makes me feel a little better. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

dairyair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dairyair Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:19am
post #30 of 54

Has anyone tried the King Arthur Flour recipe for Golden Vanilla Cake? I tried it with gluten free flour but haven't made it with regular cake flour yet.
I've had great success with their chocolate fudge cake recipe so I am anxious to make this one.

Here is a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/golden-vanilla-cake-recipe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%