Ahhhh Cake Balls!

Baking By mamagraham81 Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 3:40am by yummy_in_my_tummy

mamagraham81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamagraham81 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:43am
post #1 of 6

icon_mad.gif Cake balls are my kriptanite. I read some where that I could use coffee creamer in stead of icing in the mixture. But after many fails...I broke down and made my own frosting and added it to the mix. Think I got that fine. Put them in the frezzer for a while. Now for the candy coating. I use a double boiler...heat to aboil...then put the top pan on and add...almond bark. Now I don't see anywhere that people have used almond bark. But growing up that is what we used for our candy covering teats. So after I add the almond bark..I turn down the heat to between low and medium. But maybe I am not waiting long enough for it to melt...seems though that if I wait any longer than a certain point...it starts getting chunky. SO covered them...hubby ate one and said that it tasted great...then a couple of hours later...they are greesy and sticky! OH since my bark gets chunky this time a read where I could put solid crisco in it...hense the gressy afterwards? Would I be able to get one of those chocolate melt bowl things to keep it at a constent temp...or is almond bark the problem...or is it just the opperator.

5 replies
katskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katskreations Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 3:02am
post #2 of 6

I have used almond bark without a problem, but I just melt mine in the microwave.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with melting small chunks in the microwave in short bursts of power. The reason your bark is getting chunky is probably because of the steam coming out of your double boiler - water and chocolate doesn't mix. Using the microwave - eliminates seizing. And yes, the reason your coated cake balls get sticky after a while is due to the addition of Crisco. There's a product on the market in little white flakes - made to add to chocolate to thin it out (rats, can't remember the name) but you'll find it in the chocolate aisle of your local large scale cake decorating center. Works instantly. Also, it sounds like you're trying to melt your chocolate too quickly - takes a very long time - using a double boiler. Try the microwave.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

I agree with melting small chunks in the microwave in short bursts of power. The reason your bark is getting chunky is probably because of the steam coming out of your double boiler - water and chocolate doesn't mix. Using the microwave - eliminates seizing. And yes, the reason your coated cake balls get sticky after a while is due to the addition of Crisco. There's a product on the market in little white flakes - made to add to chocolate to thin it out (rats, can't remember the name) but you'll find it in the chocolate aisle of your local large scale cake decorating center. Works instantly. Also, it sounds like you're trying to melt your chocolate too quickly - takes a very long time - using a double boiler. Try the microwave.

it's called paramount crystals thumbs_up.gif

mamagraham81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamagraham81 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 3:24am
post #5 of 6

Awesome! Thank you ladies.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 3:40am
post #6 of 6

I also microwave mine. And if the chocolate is still too thick, you can add a little canola or vegetable oil (sp?) and it helps smooth it out icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%