Serving Cake On A Mirror

Decorating By shanney54 Updated 23 Apr 2011 , 8:29pm by MimiFix

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 7

I've never done this before and am not sure about something. What can I use to clean the mirror that will be food safe once it dries? I don't want to clean it with something and then make everyone sick. TIA!!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
newcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakester Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 7

I would think vinegar and water should work

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 7

I'd make sure whatever I'm serving on a mirror is on its own board or in its own wrapper. (If it's a cake, you wouldn't want it cut directly on a mirror to avoid cut marks and scratches.)

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 12:17am
post #4 of 7

Ok, thanks guys! I didn't even think about scratching the mirror!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 7

I did a large cake last week for a birthday and I had it on a cake drum and then the cake sat on a mirror. I looked very elegant and reflected all the bling. You don't want to scratch the mirror so it should be on something so as not to.
evelyn

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 7

Also, most mirrors are on the thin side. You can't lift a cake on a mirror unless it's a very small cake. Mirrors are not constructed to take the weight. I've used a mirror, but the cake was on a drum as cakegrandma said.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 7

Mirrors are a beautiful way to display and present a cake. I use a plywood sheet cut exactly to fit the mirror and wipe down the mirror with vinegar water. The cake is always on a cardboard or plastic base.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%