Storing Smbc (Well, Just The Cooked, Whipped Egg Whites)?

Baking By gimmesugar Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 3:12am by gimmesugar

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 7

I started making SMBC and will have to finish it later, as in tomorrow. I cooked the egg whites and sugar, whipped it completely, and won't be able to add the finishing pieces (butter!) until tomorrow. What's the best way to store this meringue in the meantime? Air tight container on the kitchen counter or in the fridge?

6 replies
gimmesugar Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 12:06am
post #2 of 7

Anyone know? icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 1:40am
post #3 of 7

This all depends on your recipe. Can you post it.

If you use the 1,2,3 recipe I don't believe you can. This is also 7 minute frosting recipe and it needs to be used immediately. It is not the right consistency later and I believe it dries hard.

But maybe if you leave it on the counter and cover it tightly so air can't get to it, you can do it, maybe like Royal Icing. But I have never tried it.

But truthfully for about 5-10 more minutes of work you can at least add the butter, let it do its thing and then add base flavors later too. If you have the time to make the meringue, you would have the little bit of time to add the butter.

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 7

That is one of the meringue rules, once you start whipping it, you have to finish. You really don't even want it to sit between steps, but keep it moving on low speed until you need it. If whipped egg whites sit, even for a short time, they start to separate the water and protein, so you get liquid with fluffy bits floating in it. The best bet is to finish the buttercream and then store in the fridge until tomorrow, return to room temperature and rebeat it before using.

Tami icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 7

Well now you have two of us who said the same thing. Let us know how it worked out for you. But baker rose confirmed my research. Good luck.

pounds6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pounds6 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 7

I agree, SMBC is one of my FAVS !! It's just wonderful but I believe it will separate and you'll have a mess. Gotta add the butter now, add flavor later when you have time. I use Toba Garrets recipe. Good Luck !

gimmesugar Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 3:12am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the responses. I did leave it on the counter in an air tight container. The next day I opened it and it smelled rather foul, like sulfur, and it had deflated. I threw it out but at least now I know.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%