Top Tier For Bride?

Decorating By MomSgt Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 12:30pm by MomSgt

MomSgt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomSgt Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a wedding cake and the bride wants to "save" the top tier. The design calls for a 3 tier square cake (14-12-10). Is the top tier in addition to the 3 tiers? Is it a separate cake? Is a 10 x10 inch cake is too big? Do I supply the packaging for the top tier? If so.... how do you "wrap" it to last for a year in the freezer? It will be MMF covered WASC cake with jam filling. Any and all information will be appreciated.

6 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 7

Does the bride need the servings from the 10" cake for her guests? If so, then the tier saved will be a different one. If not, then sure, she can keep it.

I try to have all my top tiers be 6". I think that looks the best and if the bride and groom want to keep it the box doesn't take up 1/2 the freezer space. Plus, when paying by the slice, a 6" anniversay cake costs my bride $36 - a 10" would cost them over $100.

I provide a box and directions I printed off the internet (maybe even Wilton website but I don't remember) about how to wrap up an anniversary cake.

I do tell all my brides that cake after a year is probably not going to taste good. So, how much better to order a 6" cake from me on their anniversay. It is a small order, which can be a pain in the butt, but it is a nice reminder that they liked the baker that did their wedding cake and in a year or two I get a call to do the baby shower cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 7

A 6" top tier has been standard in the biz forever. It's the size that commercial toppers are designed for and if the florist is making a floral topper, it's what they will design to.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 7

.......bride wants to "save" the top tier. ..design calls for a 3 tier square cake (14-12-10). Is the top tier in addition to the 3 tiers? Is it a separate cake? Is a 10 x10 inch cake is too big? .............
I definately would make a additional 6" round or even cut an 8" sq into 2 tier 4"sq. Deffinately the 10" is much too big for giving as their anniversary cake.

Do I supply the packaging for the top tier? If so.... how do you "wrap" it to last for a year in the freezer?

In the case of making an 'extra, seperate top tier' I box it and inform the family to it's whereabouts. Give them these instructions on how to wrap it for saving:
On a baking sheet or tray place 2 pieces of plastic wrap to form an "X"; put cake on it; place in fzr overnight (at least 4 hours). Next day using the plastic wrap, wrap cake well; place that in a cake box (the one you provided) and place the box into a plastic bag to fz for the year.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 7

Most of my brides lately don't want to save the top tier because of lack of space or fear of horrible taste after a year. So I offer them the choice of two things. I will prepare a small matching to there wedding cake tier, box it up and have it ready for them when they return my equipment. They can then do what they want with it freeze it or eat it.

This way the entire cake can be served at the reception hall. The second choice is they can contact me two weeks before there anniversary and I will make them a new anniversary cake small for the two of them FREE!

Or if they want one larger to share with family or friends... then there is a charge depending what they want. Most do not want the headache of trying to keep track of the frozen cake in the freezer. So they say they will call me and a few have BUT the others just didn't bother.

I tried to keep the frozen anniversary cakes for the couples until they ended up collecting in my freezer.. never to be picked up. So I stopped offering to do that.

I try to make the top tier of my cakes 7 or 8 inches. No larger. Occasionaly
someone wil have a small cake so it will be a 4 or 6 in.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 7

I charge for the top tier...some keep it, some don't...I provide a box for those who want to keep it. Some come home from their honeymoon and eat it. haha.

MomSgt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomSgt Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks to all who posted. You all have been very helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%