Topsy Turvy & Wasc - Bad Combo??

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 23 Apr 2011 , 2:37pm by dukeswalker

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 1:58am
post #1 of 4

So I am making a 1 tier topsy turvy cake...sounds simple enough as there isn't any stacking involved (although with the SPS its not nearly as nerve wracking as before)...I make 3 2-inch layers, 7-8-9. I level them as needed and followed the tutorial here on cakecentral. When I placed the largest layer(9in) on top it looked ok...as I begin the carve off the edges I notice its starting to lean...as I begin to think about crumb coating I can tell the bottom layer is literally collapsing under the weight of the 2 other layers. (I ended up taking off the top 2 - keeping the bottom layer to eat/dissect and just using the top 2 layers for the cake. The bottom layer was moist, fully cooked, dense...*perfect*)

Help me out here...where did I go wrong?

3 replies
dukeswalker Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 3:26am
post #2 of 4

bump icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 9:48am
post #3 of 4

Typically, 4" is as high as you should go before adding internal support of some sort. 6" plus the combined stress of being tilty... not awesome. I don't think it was your recipe. Also try assembling your TT cake layers upside down, keeps the pressure off while you are manipulating.

dukeswalker Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 4

I always knew the 4" rule - but in the tutorial he says nothing about providing support when using 3 layers....thanks for replying. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%