Graduating From Box Mixes To Scratch But Need Help!

Baking By integlspwr Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 7:39am by SweetcakesCT

integlspwr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
integlspwr Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 11

Ive been baking a lot of cupcake recipes that asks for a white box mix, but I've come to the conclusion that it taste too chemically / fake for me, even if I make it WASC version.

Can anyone help or point me into the right direction on finding great recipes for my cupcakes that require a white cake mix ?

Or your best seller recipes?

Thanks In Advance!

10 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 6:30am
post #2 of 11

Do you really want white cake for the cupcakes or yellow? In my opinion, yellow has more flavor. I'm a scratch baker, but I really don't have a white recipe that I have used in cupcakes. I just like the yolks. If you want white, I'm sure someone has one. For yellow, Sylvia Weinstock's recipe and my favorite, CakeLove's, are available. CakeLove has a tutorial on his site for the cake, but it will work in cupcakes.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 6:47am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by integlspwr

Ive been baking a lot of cupcake recipes that asks for a white box mix, but I've come to the conclusion that it taste too chemically / fake for me, even if I make it WASC version.

Can anyone help or point me into the right direction on finding great recipes for my cupcakes that require a white cake mix ?

WASC cake (Rebecca Sutterby or kakeladi) is one of the more popular doctored cake mix recipes on CC.

If you don't care for that recipe, then I'm thinking you probably won't like any doctored cake mix recipe for the same reasons you've already stated.

HTH

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 9:10am
post #4 of 11

And another one comes to our side of the universe, scp!

Finding a good white/yellow is hard. I love Rose Levi Bernbaum's recipe. White cake is one of the most tricky to make, so learning about the science will really help curb any frustrations you'll have. I suggest getting the Cake Bible to get the recipe and the science.

I too also make a yellow cake as my default vanilla cake unless someone specifically asks for white. It has a richer flavor with a more silky mouth feel, where a traditional white falls a little flat and the texture is a little more dry.

Good luck, and if you need help let us know!

Jen

scp1127 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 9:43am
post #5 of 11

FromScratch, I hope they stay on your side of the country!

Now to help intelgspwr, Rose's yellow cake in the Cake Bible? I only have Rose's Heavenly Cakes. You are going to have to help her.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 9:54am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

FromScratch, I hope they stay on your side of the country!

Now to help intelgspwr, Rose's yellow cake in the Cake Bible? I only have Rose's Heavenly Cakes. You are going to have to help her.

Man, are you a night owl like me!

Same recipe, both books.

scp1127 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 10:30am
post #7 of 11

Yep, night owl all my life. I haven't made that cake. I'm going to pm you about a recipe I need. Hopefully you can help me... vegan white wedding cake.

integlspwr Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks everyone for the amazing suggestions, I guess a yellow scratch mix will work great then.

Any other suggestions besides:

Sylvia Weinstock's
CakeLove's
Rose's yellow cake in the Cake Bible

I'm going to try something this week end cause of all the sales going on right now.

Thanks!

integlspwr Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:

WASC cake (Rebecca Sutterby or kakeladi) is one of the more popular doctored cake mix recipes on CC.

If you don't care for that recipe, then I'm thinking you probably won't like any doctored cake mix recipe for the same reasons you've already stated.

HTH

thanks for the reply but thats why i am trying to move away from the doctored box mixes because they taste too fake for me. icon_wink.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 12:06am
post #10 of 11
Quote:

Quote:

[thanks for the reply but thats why i am trying to move away from the doctored box mixes because they taste too fake for me. icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

If you don't care for that recipe (doctored cake mix), then I'm thinking you probably won't like any doctored cake mix recipe for the same reasons you've already stated.

Glad that I was able to bring clarity to your ambivalence. icon_smile.gif

SweetcakesCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetcakesCT Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 7:39am
post #11 of 11

I had great luck with a recipe from this site: Buttercup Golden Yellow Cake. (I think that's the title). It's on the list of most saved recipes. I also like the Whimsical Bakehouse Vanilla cupcakes recipe (however, that seems to be denser than most folks like), and the Cake Love yellow butter cake recipe. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%