Selling Cupcakes Outside?

Baking By ChefAmandaMarie Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 8:45pm by LaFleur

ChefAmandaMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAmandaMarie Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 10:32am
post #1 of 10

I was just notified that I would be outside than inside. The organizers of the fair made a mistake. I am now worried about what I should do. This is my second craft fair selling cupcakes. I am not sure how I should keep the cupcakes fresh while the icing holds its shape. I have buttercream and cream cheese icing that will need to hold up.

Also, while on this subject. My next fair (May) is under a pavilion. Its a two day event and I was thinking would I be able to keep the cupcakes frosted unrefrigerated overnight?

Thank You

9 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 10:49am
post #2 of 10

I'm only a newbie but I have left buttercream and cream cheese frosted cupcakes out on the counter overnight (just in boxes) and they have been absolutely fine the next day. Held their shape perfectly.

Even with just ones for myself and my partner, we have had them sitting in a cake tin on the counter for 4-5 days and they are still just as good (although the cream cheese frosting can get a bit on the soft side after that long!).

How warm is it where you are? I'm in the UK so it doesn't really get too warm here unless it's the absolute height of summer.

But I'm only a newbie.... I bow down to the superior knowledge of the CC ladies! icon_smile.gif

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 10

The butter cream will be fine. But I don't leave Cream Cheese out more than a couple hours.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 10

Without knowing if your cupcakes are boxed or are from scratch, what type of icing you make, and the climate conditions of where you are... I can't really offer much advice because all 3 of those things are pretty big factors on shelf life.

Scratch cakes dry out faster then box mixes. I can make my scratch cupcakes in advance but I freeze them until the day of the event, then frost because I know my cake has no preservatives in it and they would taste "day old" if I left them out overnight. But box mixes are full of chemicals that make them artificially moist for days so you could make them in advance and nobody would know. Icing made entirely with shortening (crusting) can withstand heat up to over 100 degrees, where butter will start loosing its shape at 80 (European). Cream cheese is completely fine in crusting icing unrefrigerated (most recipes) but also has it's own melting point when combined with either butter or shortening.

Hope this helps. For advice in the future, the more info you can give us the better!

Jen

ChefAmandaMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAmandaMarie Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 10

its already in the 60s here.. next sat its supposed to be in the 60s as well. I dont know of I can keep them in a cooler or what not?

All my mixes are made from scratch. I freeze my cupcakes as well however, I have an event that all the cupcakes need to be iced and individual wrapped in advance but its a two day event. On avg that area gets 75-90 (according to weather.com). Its an all day event. how do you suppose I should keep these chill. Mind you I have to make 3500 cupcakes. (I am the only baker and the event organizer whats that many bc of the average 50g attendance). I know I am taking the extras overnight back to an air conditioned building.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefAmandaMarie

its already in the 60s here.. next sat its supposed to be in the 60s as well. I dont know of I can keep them in a cooler or what not?

All my mixes are made from scratch. I freeze my cupcakes as well however, I have an event that all the cupcakes need to be iced and individual wrapped in advance but its a two day event. On avg that area gets 75-90 (according to weather.com). Its an all day event. how do you suppose I should keep these chill. Mind you I have to make 3500 cupcakes. (I am the only baker and the event organizer whats that many bc of the average 50g attendance). I know I am taking the extras overnight back to an air conditioned building.

Do you have any help??? Wow that's a lot of cuppies.

If there is no way you can be indoors, then if I were you I'd insist on being given storage in a refrigerated area or at least an air-conditioned secure building. Only have at your table small quantities, then get a rolling cart to go back and forth from the fridge to your space. I'd even see if they can offer you freezer space so you can bring your frozen cake in advance then do your icing/packaging for day 2 the night before or morning of the event to make sure it's fresh tasting.

Good luck!

Jen

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 10

icon_eek.gif Whoa! 3500 is a lot of cupcakes! I sure hope you have help also!!

cakesherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesherry Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 10

Check with party supply stores about renting some equipment...most will at least have Cambro's available. Put two hotel pans full of ice in the Cambro the night before to get it nice and cold (one pan on the bottom and one in the middle). Than use half-pans as shelves and you can slide the boxed cupcakes in and keep them cool. Check them out before to see how many can fit in the Cambros (they come in different sizes).
Even better, check with a local caterer and see if they have a refrigerated trailer/truck that you can rent for the day. They have to be plugged in, and some ice distribution centers will rent them out, too.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 12:08am
post #9 of 10

3500 cupcakes! icon_surprised.gif WOW! Good luck with that!

LaFleur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaFleur Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 10

I was curious about this as well. I plan to do our local farmers market this year. I sell all different kinds of desserts, and was wondering if the icing would hold up for very long. It begins at 9am, and ends at 1pm. I thought if I refrigerated them overnight, they would hold up for the time during the farmers market.

Thanks for all the input.... That makes me feel a whole lot better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%