Help! Textured Buttercream Wedding Cake Due Friday

Decorating By StarBerry Updated 29 Jun 2012 , 3:39pm by carmijok

StarBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StarBerry Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:57am
post #1 of 16

I know this may seem backwards to a lot of you....but I have never done an all buttercream cake. I always cover with fondant. I'm so far out of my comfort zone here and could really use some words of wisdom!

Here is the picture the bride emailed me. I will only be doing 3 tiers. I have no idea which type of buttercream to use to achieve this texture. It will be vanilla cake & BC, with a raspberry filling.
This will be the tallest cake I have ever done so I'm pretty nervous about stacking and transporting, any tips would REALLY be appreciated!!

So, my main questions are:

1.What type of BC should I use?

2. It's Wednesday night and the cake is due Friday at 3pm. Can I finish the whole project Thursday and refrigerate till Friday?

3. HOW do I get that "stucco" texture? small offset spatula?

15 replies
StarBerry Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:58am
post #2 of 16

Apparently I didn't attach the picture? I'll try to figure it out now.....

hickety883 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hickety883 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:50am
post #3 of 16

Here is a wedding cake I just did with a textured finish...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=159486200778899&set=a.105539249506928.8399.105536999507153&type=1&theater

is this what you mean?

StarBerry Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:02am
post #4 of 16

Yes, that's pretty close. Is this as simple as it looks? Ice like usual then spread more with a spatula?

hickety883 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hickety883 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:04am
post #5 of 16

Yep pretty much! I used a small spatula, and then "pulled" the icing in opposite direction and staggered the pattern...so pull to the left, then right etc. and stagger the overlaps as you go up the cake.... does that make sense!?

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:53am
post #6 of 16

I did a wedding cake where she wanted swirled/textured frosting. I just used the back of a large metal spoon, like the bigger ones in a serving set of silverware, and swirled it around until it looked good. Takes time, but isn't hard to do. icon_smile.gif

StarBerry Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:57am
post #7 of 16

Thanks so much! I think I managed to get the picture online-

Tor1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tor1985 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 11:57am
post #8 of 16

I'm doing a wedding cake just like this for the weekend. My question is....do I crumb coat the stack then finish off with the swirly buttercream...or do I swirly each tier than stack?
I'm just worried I might mess up the texture while I'm stacking.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks so much

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor1985

I'm doing a wedding cake just like this for the weekend. My question is....do I crumb coat the stack then finish off with the swirly buttercream...or do I swirly each tier than stack?
I'm just worried I might mess up the texture while I'm stacking.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks so much

You should fully ice each tier, then deliver, then stack and do the swirly stuff only when the cake will no longer be moved anywhere.

Tor1985 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 16

Cake is being picked up tomorrow morning, it's only a 6",8" and 10", so it has to be assemebled before hand.

I just wasn't sure if I should crumbcoat stack then add my 'textured' buttercream or texture each tier then assemble....I think I'm leaning towards texturing then assembling, guess I better figure it out soon as I have to get started this afternoon!!
Thankx icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 16

HI, i would make any swirls, etc. , when the b/c is applied ,while it is still soft and not set up. You can do it before you stack, after stacking(as long as the b/c is still soft and managable. You can use american buttercream(indydebi's recipe, sugarshack's recipe, etc. or you can use imbc, smbc etc. Just which ever the bride wants and what you agee to. hth

Tor1985 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 3:04pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks Icer.....but I should still crumbcoat the cakes first then apply the b/c in the textured manner?? Then stack....I think that's my plan of action, just wanted to check and see if that made sense to other people lol
Thanks again

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 3:26pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor1985

Thanks Icer.....but I should still crumbcoat the cakes first then apply the b/c in the textured manner?? Then stack....I think that's my plan of action, just wanted to check and see if that made sense to other people lol
Thanks again

Crumb coat, ice, chill overnight.

DELIVER then stack and swirl. Sorry but that "deliver" step doesn't seem to be showing up in your plan.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 3:29pm
post #14 of 16

Tor1985, glad to help, Yes, you are correct in your reply. You go it going!!!!

Tor1985 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 3:32pm
post #15 of 16

Awesome, can't wait to get started!

I'm not delivering the cake, it's being picked up, therefore I have to assemble ahead of time icon_smile.gif

Thanks again

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 3:39pm
post #16 of 16

Crumb coat first...refrigerate to set, then start your icing and texture. Only I would do the icing/texture as you stack your cakes. Do the first tier with texture, then stack the second, texture, then finish with the third. I think you'll have a more consistent look if you do it that way. It's only 3-tiers and it should transport well...as long as you tell whoever is picking it up how to handle it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%