Help With The Swirls!!

Decorating By singinglark Updated 21 Apr 2011 , 2:26am by singinglark

singinglark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singinglark Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 11

First let me start by saying I am still a novice at cakes!!

My bride brought me this image and I can't figure out what the swirls are made off. At first I thought they were piped on, but look at the top swirl - it sits above the cake. Is that some type of icing that is piped in a swirl, dried and then stuck on the cake?

10 replies
JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 11

I'm definitely no expert, but could that be royal icing that was piped onto wax paper, left to harden and then attached to the cake? Anyone else have ideas??

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 11

I agree its probably Royal Icing.

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 11

I would guess that it's fondant.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 11

I dont know what it is but that is a beautiful cake! I love the offset dots on the front. Good luck with it and be sure to post pics of your interpretation.

Stella2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stella2010 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 11

I think it's fondant. The swirls look as though they have shimmer dust painted on them. I would make fondant swirls but use 50/50 fondant and gumpaste for the one that stands up off the top of the cake. That way you can still mold the others into the corners but the gumpaste one will dry hard and stand up. Good luck! Post pix when you've finished!

korean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korean Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 11

I also think fondant/gumpaste the simmery look looks to painted on and it would be hard to get that even of a paint job on royal icing.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 11

i think it is extruded fondant that has been painted.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 11

Noticed that all but the top swirl is thin, the top swirl is thicker. So, having said that, I believe that all the swirls are fondant but the top swirl is gumpaste (dried). Making them all off the cake is just about the only way you could be able to dust them first - before placing them on the cake. some go over the edges (hard - if not impossible to do with dried royal). Also, if made of royal, they would need to dry on a slightly curves form to match the curve of the cake.

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:06am
post #10 of 11

I would also say its fondant because of the way it drapes from one layer to the other...

singinglark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singinglark Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:26am
post #11 of 11

Thanks, everyone! I didn't even think of fondant...duh! That just made my life a little easier as I am SO not good at the piping stuff! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%