Food Coloring

Decorating By kneenah Updated 21 Apr 2011 , 11:55am by ezkate

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 8

WHICH ARE UR RECOMMENDED FOOD COLORING?.. I USE WILTON BUT THEY DONT ALWAYS GIVE U THE COLORS THAT U WANT...

7 replies
burgundysugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgundysugar Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 8

i love wilton! they have tons of colors and the gel will never mess up the consistancy of whatever i make...
but maybe u can try americolor gel food coloring..they are super pigmented and more liquidy but not completely runny..my local cake decoration store carries them so im sure you could google them, that brand has many colors! and it usually used for fondant but you can use the colors for whatever you please! hope this helped a tiny bit! good luck!

<3

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 8

I've used Wilton colors for many years and have been thinking of beginning to replace them with Americolor. Reading that they are less solid than Wilton has me rethinking that idea. (I even miss the old Wilton paste color because it was so concentrated!)

Can those of you who use Americolor for buttercream offer some thoughts?

Thanks!

burgundysugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgundysugar Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 8

well ive only used a blue americolor tint on a buttercream once and i do feel like getting it to the right color that i wanted did make my buttercream a little more creamier lol (less stiff) i guess you can say but i just added about another teaspoon-tablespoon for the consistency and it was perfect,but that was just my experience.

for fondant though, its great because of the thick sugary dough just swallows the whole color up! i would say maybe buy a sample online or even a single bottle..and give it a practice go. and if it doesnt work with your buttercream recipe as you wish u can always use it for other sweet projects! (:

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 8

Ive been told about the Chefmaster colors... i cant find a bright red with wilton....

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:44am
post #6 of 8

I used Wilton & Americolor, they are both good but I prefer Americolor IMO they are more concentrated & their colors are more vibrant plus you have way more color options, lol & the most important thing is that you don't need any toothpicks to transfer your FC icon_biggrin.gif

I use them for both BC & fondant with no problems what so ever

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:12am
post #7 of 8

I have used both and the Americolor is so much better and easier to dispense with the dropper bottle.HTH

ezkate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ezkate Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 11:55am
post #8 of 8

i love americolor, love the electric colors they are great, have used wilton, sugarflair but would love to try squires and cake craft and chefmaster
powdered colours are great too as they are highly concentrated.
there are so many to chose from cake craft have like 100 colours they have a website just google cake craft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%